'74 p bass shielding?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dukeandrews, Feb 14, 2014.

1. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

I searched the topic and couldn't find anything. If this has been covered before, I apologize. Anyway, I am putting a different pickguard on my '74 P and was wondering if it would be beneficial to use shielding paint on the controls cavity while I have the pickguard off.? I can't tell if there is already shielding paint in the cavity. Did Fender use shielding paint from the factory? This is my first vintage bass so I don't want to mess it up. Thanks.
  2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Shielding paint is better(I assume this because high end companies use it), but I wouldn't permanently modify any vintage Fender. You can use copper foil instead.
  3. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

good call. Do I have to order it over the internet? I tried GC and they didn't know what I was talking about and acted like I was speaking a different language.
  4. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

5. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

hardware store
  6. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

I have heard of people using aluminum foil. Is this true? Or should it be copper?
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

My two cents: I have a '74, '75 and '77 now and have owned and worked on probably 50 of them over the years. None of them came with shielding, nor did any of them ever need any. Always have been very quiet basses. The only thing the factory did was stick that 5" piece of adhesive foil between the jack and controls on the underside of the pickguard. Unless you have another wiring or component problem, you shouldn't need anything else.
  8. Klonk

Klonk Norwegian Wood Supporting Member

Will shielding a P bass modify the sound characteristic in any way? I have a Fender CS 59 P that sounds great (to me) but in some rooms will have noise related to the power/lighting in there. Should I shield it, or will it sound different afterwards?
  9. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

It doesn't have much (any?) noise. I was just wondering since I already had the pickguard off. Just trying to be efficient. I'll put some foil in there and see if it makes any difference.