75 Fender P Bass Question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Project7Bass, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Project7Bass

Project7Bass Supporting Member

Hello TB!

Just got this awesome vintage super mojo p bass at a ridiculous price. It has been well loved and will continue to be!

I do have a couple questions tho...

1. Everything on this bass is original. I know what I paid, but not sure how to value this bass. I do not have the original case.

2. The nut. Near the g string the is a small chip. Please see the attached photo. Bass plays fine. The string doesn't slip or rattle. Seems fine. Should I fix it or leave it?

Thanks TB!

Attached Files:

2. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Sweet bass!

I'd say that if you're comfortable with the nut the way it is then leave it. If it bugs you fix it! The bass is already thrashed so a repair to make it play better isn't going to effect the value in any way.

Good score!

I'd guess it's value should be right around a grand. I certainly would be hard pressed to pay anymore than that.
  3. Project7Bass

Thanks for the quick response. My gut feeling is to leave the nut alone. Doesn't effect playability at all. Until is really goes, if it ever does, why pay for the repair right?
  4. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Great score! If it were my bass, I'd also leave the nut alone as long as it doesn't affect playability.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    EDIT :
    IIRC that is a custom color... With lots of mojo. I have seen the similar bass but '72ish in very good cond go for 4500 at guitar shows... And a friend just bought one in similar condition to yours for $3100.. I have the same bass but its a '71 with a white PG...

I would not replace the nut unless it gave you issues.. But that small crack could be filled and repaired with finely Ground up Nut dust and crazy glue mixture... then sanded out to match... The repairs usually show no sign of being repaired if done correctly...
  7. Project7Bass

Thanks for the advice! That's the way I'm leaning. I think a nice set up and new strings will make this my go to bass!
  8. Project7Bass

Wow that much really!?

If that's the case I really scored big!
  9. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    The Arlington Guitar Show in TX as well as the Dallas Guitar show had the similar circa bass.. And they were $$$ and sold too.
    I bought my Black P bass in early 72 from Sam Ash.. It has the maple fingerboard with a white PG.. I think i paid $180 for it NEW.... cant remember.. But i have been seeing them for upwards of $2500 to $4500 in recent years.. The GIT market took a hit a few years ago. but i notice some bass prices going upward..
    Ill post pic of mine which has the "A" narrow neck.
    EDIT.. It has had a few refrets and a new PG after the original jack area broke around 1977 or so.. And it only weight 7.75 pounds.. super lightweight

[​IMG]
  10. Project7Bass

Very cool bass man! Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea this was a custom color. I've only owned a couple vintage items as of late. So, it's all rather new to me. Much thanks!
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My favorite look of all Precisions, relic'ed quite nicely. That's what you call a score! It's possible to get the nut fixed without replacing it, but it seems to be in a place where you shouldn't have to worry about it for a while.
  12. Project7Bass

Cool man. Thanks for the kind words!
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Great bass man! Congrats!

The weight may be something to consider in terms of value, as well as how well it plays of course. Looking at the wood on the back I want to say it's probably not heavy.

If I was puting that bass into heavy play rotation I would carefully remove(and save) the nut and install a replacement. If done carefully/correctly it will not effect the value. The G string is riding on the two thin portions on either side of the chip, if one of those ridges gives way or recieves a bump and snaps the other one may go pretty quickly. Also, if you change strings a smaller or larger gauge wire may effect how well it's riding in the slot.
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.

The nut on my '74 P broke in half under the d string a few years back while I was changing strings.... I Crazy Glued it and slapped it back in place.... I forgot all about it until I read your post as it is holding perfect.

Leave it alone unless it bugs you.... If it bugs you, get it replaced for $50 or so. Maintenance items like nuts and even frets rarely affect value.
  15. Project7Bass

Thanks for all the help on this one folks!
  16. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

That's a cool bass. The like that metalshop clank you get from old Fender bridges.
  17. Project7Bass

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words. Had my local tech run through the bass and give her a set up. Sounds amazing and the neck is just beautiful. The consensus on the nut was to leave it alone. It's such a slight chip it doesn't seem to effect the bass at all. All in all I got a great bass at at great price. People pay lots of money for custom shop relics, but I found the real deal.
  18. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Super sweet and congrats!
    That's exactly what I am looking for.
  19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Black wasn't really a custom color- Fender called everything a custom color then. If a dealer didn't specify the three-digit color choice when they ordered, then the company defaulted to sunburst for everything except Telecasters. But the other instruments were available in a wide range of colors, which they made in batches of 100. Black was VERY common.

The G string slot looks like someone has been energetic with playing an open G, but if the string sits in the slot solidly when you play the bass, and the slot is cut correctly so your intonation is good and the action at the nut is where you want it, don't bother to replace it.

Looks like a nice '70s Fender- While I'm no fan of that era (having been a dealer who had to try to sell 'em new at the time), anytime someone finds any bass that "sounds amazing and the neck is just beautiful", it's a great bass!!! ENJOY!

John
  20. Handyman

Handyman

I'm really digging it. And man, the previous owner REALLY knew how to do buckle rash!