1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

75 Jazz Reissue Intonation Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wasabi1264, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Disclosures:
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Hi, folks...

I have a 75 Jazz Reissue (American) I picked up some years back off of eBay. The original owner had swapped the bridge with a Hipshot A style bridge. The problem is that I can't intonate the bass. No matter how close to the neck I get the saddles (the entire length of the screw), the fretted notes are running flat. The neck is set up nicely, but it's at least 15 cents flat on each string.

Is this common?

I'm considering finding an original bridge, but let me know your thoughts on if that will solve the problem. It is definitely a hearable difference.
  2. megafiddle

megafiddle

Measure from the nut (fretboard edge of nut) to center of 12th fret.
    Then measure from center of 12th fret to the take-off point on the
    G string saddle. The take-off point is where the string is free of the
    saddle, where it first loses contact with it (on the neck side of the saddle).
    It should be equal or possibly up to an 1/8" longer for the fret to saddle
    distance.
    My 2012 Jazz measures 17" nut to 12th fret, and 17 1/8" 12th fret to saddle.
    That's with .046 to .105 round wound strings.
    Actual length depends on your strings and action.

If you can get the G string saddle to 17" from the 12th fret when it is adjusted
    as close as possible towards the neck, then the bridge should be ok.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

just so.

the distance should be exactly the same, 17", from nut to 12th fret as from the 12 to the G saddle (with maybe 1/16" or so extra). the D might be the same or close to it, and the A and the E will stagger back from that point.

i'd suspect bad strings first (DRs, by chance?)
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Also, check the witness points.