1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

'78 Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by jsbraga, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jsbraga

jsbraga

How can I tell if the bass I bought used is truly a Fender P Bass? The head has a serial number on a worn label. I hesitate to remove the fretboard to check under the base. Their is no logo on the plate & the tuners are also not engraved. In '78 Fender was in flux as the new owners were making some financial decisions.

2. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    I have no idea sorry

3. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    Your SN would be on the face of the headstock.. What do you mean you removed the fretboard? Fender was not in flux in regards to consistant instruments. Theyre all the same...

4. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

There are plenty of people here that are more knowledgeable than I...but I can give a start.

1st: Pictures are going to help a lot.
    2nd: This website is helpful: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html There's a lot of guitar stuff there but some general info too.
    3rd: I'm pretty sure you are going to need to take the neck off. Taking the pick-guard and pickups out will help too.
    4th. You can look for numbers to date parts on: the pots, the pickup, the neck heel, the pick-guard, as well as the head-stock.
    5th: Don't be surprised if not all the dates match. You may have parts from '76-'81--or something--I believe.
    6th: Looking at the neck pocket can tell you even more: refinished?, really a fender body?, etc.

I have a "'78 p-bass" as well. I really like the tone. Though 70's basses can have their drawbacks.

My pots are from '76, the pickups from '77, the neck stamp is '78. And it think there was some other number in there that said "79" but I forgot what part that was.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Nice advice