1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

'78 P-bass - modding pickguard size

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeadPoet, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Hi everybody,

I'm a big sucker for natural basses and love pickguard-less basses (that's why I have a PG-less Lakland 55-60 :p )

I'd love to mod my '78 P a bit by installing a P-retro preamp and while I'm at it modifying the pickguard's size.

Now this morning I took the old one of (already have a Fender new one ready to be molested but still waiting for the P-retro to arrive) and much to my dismay there's

1) this giant route from the pickup area to the cavity
    2) this is a stripped bass, the red that it used to be is still clearly visible under the PG.

2) is not so much of a bother to me - I can sand of the red as much as possible and don't *really* mind some left-overs (around the screwholes I think it's inevitable)

1) is more important... Actually I'm asking for you guys opinion on aestethics I guess... Would you think it's a nice touch having some sort of 'banana'-shaped pickguard or are there other, better, options?

Thanks in advance,
    Herwig

Attached Files:

2. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    even more pics

Attached Files:

4. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    I really don't think you want that big ugly rout visible do you? I wouldn't change it to PG-less - not on a P-bass.

5. Sponsored by:

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I think it will loky have to wear a pick guard.

7. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    USA
    I think a black banana shaped control plate/pickguard that goes up around the pickups would look good but a word to the wise..it'll probably end up looking phallic.

mech

8. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Thanks for your input, I've been thinking the same... as much as I'd love to go PG-less or reduce the size of that thing it'll always look a little strange.

Kind regards,
    Herwig

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Why don't you get a custom guard made of real wood and if you ever got the bass refinished you could have it matched perfectly.

[​IMG]

10. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    [​IMG]

This would have been an option if it wasn't for that pesky routing.

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A curved Ash piece, aged and cut to match the grain pattern would be the least noticeable way of doing it.

Got any woodworker buddies?

Bob

12. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Wow, the wood PG seems nice, I'll search into that later today, thanks!

That route is indeed vewwy annoying..

13. thebrian

thebrian boom boom boom boom bang bang bang bang Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Socal
    Honestly, that '78 is not the right P bass to do that mod on. There are lots of P bodies available that don't have that route there though, like the one in the pic that kohntarkosz posted.

14. just curious, whats the advantage to you by not having a pick guard?

15. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    esthetics :D

Somehow my entire collection of basses is moving in the "exclusively natural" direction and I prefer the look of natural basses without pickguard, that's all.

Herwig

16. you like the look- got it.;)