1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'78 P-bass - modding pickguard size

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeadPoet, Jan 16, 2014.

1. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Hi everybody,

I'm a big sucker for natural basses and love pickguard-less basses (that's why I have a PG-less Lakland 55-60 :p )

I'd love to mod my '78 P a bit by installing a P-retro preamp and while I'm at it modifying the pickguard's size.

Now this morning I took the old one of (already have a Fender new one ready to be molested but still waiting for the P-retro to arrive) and much to my dismay there's

1) this giant route from the pickup area to the cavity
    2) this is a stripped bass, the red that it used to be is still clearly visible under the PG.

2) is not so much of a bother to me - I can sand of the red as much as possible and don't *really* mind some left-overs (around the screwholes I think it's inevitable)

1) is more important... Actually I'm asking for you guys opinion on aestethics I guess... Would you think it's a nice touch having some sort of 'banana'-shaped pickguard or are there other, better, options?

Thanks in advance,
    Herwig

Attached Files:

2. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

more pics

Attached Files:

3. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

even more pics

Attached Files:

4. pfox14

pfox14

I really don't think you want that big ugly rout visible do you? I wouldn't change it to PG-less - not on a P-bass.
  5. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

I think it will loky have to wear a pick guard.
  6. mech

mech

I think a black banana shaped control plate/pickguard that goes up around the pickups would look good but a word to the wise..it'll probably end up looking phallic.

mech
  7. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Thanks for your input, I've been thinking the same... as much as I'd love to go PG-less or reduce the size of that thing it'll always look a little strange.

Kind regards,
    Herwig
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Why don't you get a custom guard made of real wood and if you ever got the bass refinished you could have it matched perfectly.

[​IMG]
  9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

[​IMG]

This would have been an option if it wasn't for that pesky routing.
  10. Bobster

Bobster

A curved Ash piece, aged and cut to match the grain pattern would be the least noticeable way of doing it.

Got any woodworker buddies?

Bob
  11. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Wow, the wood PG seems nice, I'll search into that later today, thanks!

That route is indeed vewwy annoying..
  12. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

Honestly, that '78 is not the right P bass to do that mod on. There are lots of P bodies available that don't have that route there though, like the one in the pic that kohntarkosz posted.
  13. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

just curious, whats the advantage to you by not having a pick guard?
  14. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

esthetics :D

Somehow my entire collection of basses is moving in the "exclusively natural" direction and I prefer the look of natural basses without pickguard, that's all.

Herwig
  15. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

you like the look- got it.;)