78 Precision Pickup Issue/Needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by artsta, Jan 29, 2013.

1. artsta

artsta

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 78 P bass and was always a little suspicious about its low output. As it turns out, one of the pickups (from the pair) is dead. (Note: I found it weird that even though one of the pickups was dead, when they were wired together both seemed to work at half output - and the good pickup on its own gave me full output!)

Anyhow, I am very keen on keeping this thing original. So I have a few questions.

1. Should I just get one of the two rewound?
    2. Given its a 78, from what 70's year range could I replace it with?
    3. Would Fender Custom shop P-Bass be the most worthy/genuine pickup replacement (thinking resale in future too)
    4. Do any of you guys have any for sale?

Cheers, Arthur

P.S. I live in Melbourne, Australia
    P.SS. I also managed to break the tone capacitor in my travels...but lets not go there yet...
  2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Arthur, I would contact David Paul at "Bespoke Custom Guitars" there in Australia, He is a Vintage whiz, and I believe could rewind your pickup to stock 78 spec, or may have a late 70's pickup for you.

I believe most of the 70's p pickups were very similar as far as output.

Good Luck and watch out for the Sea Foam....LMAO
  3. Cadfael

Cadfael

If both really give you HALF output, they are wirde parallel instead of series!!!

If they were wired in series and one was broken, you would hear (or measue) nothing (infinite) ...

If one of the coils has a short circuit, you would measure the same as the coil which is okay (in series mode) ...

You CAN send your PU to David Paul in Australia!
    But are you sure you wired them correctly in series?
    A parallel P PU gives a weak tone ...