1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

8-string octave bass build / conversion on a budget

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Shaky, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Shaky

Shaky

Jul 6, 2006
    Roanoke, VA
    I am wanting to either convert or build an 8-string octave bass. I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, and I am not as concerned about looks as much as functionality.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find pre-made necks other than Warmouth?

Does anyone here have experience converting a 4-string to and 8-string octave bass?

Thank you for any input or suggestions.

2. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Ideally, you want to find a bass with a good headstock layout ( lots of space for 4 more tuners and good angles for the string paths leaving the nut) and you also want to find a bass with a fairly wide nut that will allow 8 strings. I would suggest perhaps a p-bass with the 1 5/8" spaced nut or even the 1 3/4" nut. The headstock would give plenty of room for 4 guitar tuners, but they would have to be in-line... Maybe a 2+2 neck would be better?

-Ron

5. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
  6. Carvin will be glad to see you a neck with a blank paddle head that you can cut to whatever you want.
    I think maybe a 5 string blank neck would give you the extra width you need.