8 String (Octave) Bass Strings Recomendations.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

To whom they may concern:

I happen to own an LTD B208FM bass. Unfortnately the neck was a dud and its virtually unplayable.

The good thing is that ESP owned up to it and they are replacing the neck.

But since i am getting a new neck, i must get new strings.

I've only tried the stock strings (I believe they are SIT strings) and Da'Daddrio XLs

Judging by basstringsonline.com catalogues, i can choose from:

GHS, Rotosound, Da'Darrio and SIT strings.

So far ive only had experience with SIT and Da'Darrio.

Does anyone has experience with Rotosound or GHS?? Im leaning to the set with less tension as it was a factor why the neck of the bass became unplayable.

Thank you for your responses.

Carlos.
  2. millsbass5

millsbass5

For starters, in no way, shape, fashion, or form, should the neck ever bow due to a certain type of strings that's manufactured for bass. The only possible way that could've happened, is if someone raised the pitch w-a-y too high on each string to a ridiculously high tension, causing the neck to bow forward. Which is pure, unadulterated abuse of the instrument. So, with saying that, I wouldn't really worry about any strings manufactured for bass causing damage to your neck.
    As for 8-string sets, it's pretty damn limited. Check out the Hamer website to see if they carry anything. It's worth a shot.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Are you 100% sure the stock strings were SITs? I ended up getting those because they were the lightest gauge I could find. My Schecter Stiletto Studio 8 shipped with the D'Addarios, and switching to the SITs made it play a lot easier.

Sorry, I haven't tried the GHS or Rotos either.
  4. SPYD3R #9

SPYD3R #9

I had the same bass (ltd b208fm) and strung it with GHS, SIT and daddario, I never tried rotosound
    daddario is the best of 3 over all IME YMMV
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

You're right. The reason the neck was busted was due to a stripped trust rod nut which came like that from the factory. The store tried not to owned up for it. So i waited a few months to hope a new service employee was behind the counter and he managed to get the ball going on this.

I'm going with SIT's and since bassstringsonline.com has a 10% off sale on black Friday, i am saving a few pennies. Lucky the Americans gets free shipping for all orders. I have to pay for my dues in Canada :p

Thank you for the suggestions.
  7. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

What gauge SITs are you getting?

I've had a new set of GHS .090" for over a year, but am waiting until I replace a pickup to put them on.
    (This project is pretty far down the list, as I'm sure you can tell).
  8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I use the GHS strings from bass strings online. I currently use medium gauge but would like to try heavy.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Have you looked into buying your octave and root strings separately?
    You can use a piccolo set for the octave strings and pair them with any normal set of bass strings for the roots.
  10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Get a lighter set of standard 4s (.095s or so) and then get singles that are half the size - could get dicey on the high thin string.

A high set is something like; .049 .035 .022 .015 or .047 .033 .020 .014
  11. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

.018P .025 .035 .045 / .040 .055 .070 .090

Light gauge if i am not mistaken.
  12. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

Im waiting for my SITs to come in and i've been thinking, i have a set of TI flats JF 344 (.043, 0.56 .070 .100) that i bought for my now sold fretless. And i've been thinking of a very unorthodox idea :) flats for big strings and rounds for the octave strings.

Does that sounds crazy??
  13. rickwebb

rickwebb

D'Addarios, definitely.
    I have a B-208 (LOVE IT, btw) and the stock SIT strings were just too light.
    The D'Addario 8-String set is perfect, in my opinion.