8-string (unpaired) Galveston bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Busker, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Saw a blues band last night. I'm friends with the singer. Anyway, the bassist was using a Galveston 8-string bass, tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F. He played it well, and even doubled on keyboards. He claimed that bass had the range of a grand piano. If true, that's impressive enough.

My friend the singer asked me to sit in, using the 8-string. I declined. The string spacing looked pretty tight. A train wreck waiting to happen if I tried to play it. Wishing it were 8 string in pairs, or just a plain old four.

It was a nice bass, but if I go for an ERB in the future, it'll be a five. I just don't see the need for more than that.

Edit: After doing the math, it had a range of 61 notes, being a 26 fret bass. Not quite grand piano range, but a lot of range nonetheless.

2. DNote13

DNote13

Yeah the Galveston is awesome. I got one, and it is my main bass now. I used it for the recording of my new EP and the low notes sounded great

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

People talk about the low notes on an F# bass, but I tried a Galveston 8 at the local guitar shop. It was really a nice looking instrument, but I must say I was NOT impressed with the F# string. So I think I'll stick with my 7 strings. On all my ERBs from 5 to 7 I don't ever seem to go below low C anyway.

4. DNote13

DNote13

What amp were you playingn through? i think it all depends on the amp, as the F# is only about 20 Hz. Most amps can't produce clear notes on a string that low

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

i have a 6str bass that i tune F#-G. after about Ab or G it gets hard to hear BUT when you have a good amp or PA support with subs those notes will make you boo boo in ya britches. i love bass!:bassist: