1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

8-string (unpaired) Galveston bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Busker, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Saw a blues band last night. I'm friends with the singer. Anyway, the bassist was using a Galveston 8-string bass, tuned F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F. He played it well, and even doubled on keyboards. He claimed that bass had the range of a grand piano. If true, that's impressive enough.

My friend the singer asked me to sit in, using the 8-string. I declined. The string spacing looked pretty tight. A train wreck waiting to happen if I tried to play it. Wishing it were 8 string in pairs, or just a plain old four.

It was a nice bass, but if I go for an ERB in the future, it'll be a five. I just don't see the need for more than that.

Edit: After doing the math, it had a range of 61 notes, being a 26 fret bass. Not quite grand piano range, but a lot of range nonetheless.
  2. DNote13

DNote13

Yeah the Galveston is awesome. I got one, and it is my main bass now. I used it for the recording of my new EP and the low notes sounded great
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

People talk about the low notes on an F# bass, but I tried a Galveston 8 at the local guitar shop. It was really a nice looking instrument, but I must say I was NOT impressed with the F# string. So I think I'll stick with my 7 strings. On all my ERBs from 5 to 7 I don't ever seem to go below low C anyway.
  4. DNote13

DNote13

What amp were you playingn through? i think it all depends on the amp, as the F# is only about 20 Hz. Most amps can't produce clear notes on a string that low
  5. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

i have a 6str bass that i tune F#-G. after about Ab or G it gets hard to hear BUT when you have a good amp or PA support with subs those notes will make you boo boo in ya britches. i love bass!:bassist: