80hm cab paired with w 4ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 12, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

I have an Eden 210XLT rated at 8ohms. My amp only has a switch for 2/4 ohms.

What I want to know is how bad is it to run an 8ohm and 4ohm cabinet together. Even if they are the same exact cab with different impedance.

There is a 4ohm version of the 210XLT for sale. I want that cab because I can use it as a standalone cabinet for small shows and rehearsals.

I can't sell the cab I have now because it's in rough shape and and I will get next to nothing for it...AND it still sounds amazing.

I think I read that an 8ohm/4ohm combination results in 2.67 ohms. But would the 4ohm cabinet see more power resulting in a different sound?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I assume that you have a tube amp??

a 4Ω 2x10 paired with an 8Ω 2x10 is poor at best. The 4Ω cabinet will get twice the power level of the 8Ω cabinet. You resultant load will be 2.67Ω.

3. KablesP

KablesP

Yes it is an SVT. I guess I will just have to get another 80hm cab and only use them together. I have a 40hm Avatar 410 but I just wanted something a little smaller. The avatar is pretty easy to move around though and not a huge footprint.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I am not familiar with your 210 cab ... are they two 4 ohm drivers wired in series or two 16 ohm drivers in parallel ?? ... if they are 4 ohm drivers you could switch the wiring to parallel and this would then be a 2 ohm cabinet ....

.. I realize that this will not be helping your being able to 'combine' cabs, but at least it will give you a 2 ohm match for your SVT for smaller situations where you dont want to drag the 410 Av along ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KablesP

KablesP

I am not sure, I will check though.

But that would be really great if I could safely use a single 210 for the smaller gigs.

I have not actually tried the SVT with the Avatar yet so I may not even like the tone and want to sell the cab.