'80s Ibanez Super P-4 Precision Pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Floridabwoy, May 3, 2010.

1. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

Why no love for these? I have 2 pairs. One pair installed in an MIM Precision (pictured in sig) and one pair on the way. They are fantastic. They growl and punch. I searched the forum and only one thread mentioning them. Are they my hidden gem?

:hyper:

2. T. Brookins

T. Brookins

because they are very rare.

3. T-34

T-34

Aren't they just licensed Dimarzio Model P's?

4. Meddle

Meddle

Had a look on Google and they appear to be OEM Dimarzio clones by the looks of it. Same hex-nut adjustable pole pieces. Do you have photos of the backs of these pickups?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cadfael

Cadfael

The Ibanez Super P4 (and the Super T4 Jazz Bass PU) were at least DiMarzio copies in many ways. They also had the hex head screws and the creme coloured housing.

I don't think they were OEM pickups ...
    This would have been mentioned in the catalogues of the 1980s but I have never found a single word. Even the naming "Super P4" has nothing to do with DiMarzio. If they were real licensed OEM pickups, Ibanez would shurely have done the same as Squier does with the Duncan Desiged PUs ...

And even it the DiMarzios had the pantent - I don't think the could pantent the creme colour or the hex screws - as adjustable pole pieces were there long before DiMarzio.

- - - - - - -

The Ibanez Blazer and Roadster basses had an excellent reputation in the 1980s!
    They were known as the first basses you needn't to replace the PUs to sound as good (or better) as Fender basses!

That's why the Super P4 appears twice in my wiring collection. One time in the creme version (Roadster bass). Ibanez Blazer basses were also equipped with Super P4s but most had black housings.