1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

80's Peavey Super Ferrite opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Okay I have a 1985 Foundation with 2 Super Ferrites, all stock.

Where do you folks set the pickup height and do you also use the 2 bass volumes much if any?

I have come to like my Aria Pro II bass because it has 2 pickups with 1 volume and a 3 position toggle like a Gibson guitar. so its easy to set the volume with only 1 volume control.

However, I am new to bass and know that many really dig the Super Ferrites on the 80's Peavey basses but they are a hotter pickup than J bass vintage style pickups.

Do you folks get closer to a vintage J bass tone by rolling the bass volumes back on your Peavey basses and setting the pickups at a specific height?

OR, do you forget about sounding anything like a J bass and roll with the Foundation pickups for what they are....which folks tell me are a "jazz bass on steroids"?

Do you use the bass volumes on these Foundations much at all?
  2. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I'm no Peavey Foundation expert but I feel it's sell is the aggressiveness of its pickups and got one to fill that role. I also have an Fender jazz and they are different animals. Rolling off the volume pots will help but in the end it is still a foundation. You might also consider lowering the height of the pickups, or just let it be the animal it is.
  3. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

My Foundation is a little different. I replaced the tone control with a Seymour Duncan Blackouts two band tone circuit. I am astounded at the sound I can get out of this bass.
    Everything from the "close enough to P" sound you get out of a J neck pickup soloed, to J and Ric and MM all in one package. With the blend of the two volumes and the boost cut of the two frequencies, its a do it all bass.
    I have never messed with the pickup heights much. What I got was a happy accident, but I'm keeping it.
  4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Interesting upgrade. Stock I hear P, Ric and subtle jazz like references.
  5. RED J

Yes. The boost of the tone circuit makes them jump out. Soloing the bridge pickup and really boosting the bottom end is what brings out the MM. I wasn't expecting that at all.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Wow...I was thinking about options with tone controls......maybe paper in oil caps for each volume control and tone control.

Now I have another option.

I thought I was hearing some Rickenbacher influence with the bridge pickup....especially with my Eden Metro amp which has a nice eq setup.
  7. RED J

Bridge pickup treble boosted Roundabout city.
  8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

What are other circuits similar to the Seymour Duncan Blackout 2 band circuit?

I have years of experience with guitar pickups & and volume & tone controls but a newbie to bass.

Does this Duncan circuit still allow the stock Foundation sounds?
  9. brainburst

brainburst

I have a foundation and have really had no need for a preamp. When using both pickups in series it sounds like a P-Bbass on steroids and the tone control acts almost like a bass boost when rolled all the way down.
  10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks, I read that somewhere....I will probably buy another Foundation beings how they are stupid reasonable considering overall quality.

I may go ahead and try the Duncan 2 band EQ in the Foundation but I may try series wiring too.

I can always use the Duncan 2 band EQ in my Aria bass as well.
  11. RED J

Brainburst's input got me thinking further. It inspired me to watch a couple of G&L SB 2000videos. They have active/passive, series parallel options. While the G&L are full humbuckers, I'm really intrigued by the idea of series parallel passive and active possibilities in the Foundation. I'm going to look around for some wiring diagrams.
    I think they will be found as Jazz bass diagrams, but the configuration is the same. I'll get back.