1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

80's Peavey Super Ferrite opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Okay I have a 1985 Foundation with 2 Super Ferrites, all stock.

Where do you folks set the pickup height and do you also use the 2 bass volumes much if any?

I have come to like my Aria Pro II bass because it has 2 pickups with 1 volume and a 3 position toggle like a Gibson guitar. so its easy to set the volume with only 1 volume control.

However, I am new to bass and know that many really dig the Super Ferrites on the 80's Peavey basses but they are a hotter pickup than J bass vintage style pickups.

Do you folks get closer to a vintage J bass tone by rolling the bass volumes back on your Peavey basses and setting the pickups at a specific height?

OR, do you forget about sounding anything like a J bass and roll with the Foundation pickups for what they are....which folks tell me are a "jazz bass on steroids"?

Do you use the bass volumes on these Foundations much at all?

2. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I'm no Peavey Foundation expert but I feel it's sell is the aggressiveness of its pickups and got one to fill that role. I also have an Fender jazz and they are different animals. Rolling off the volume pots will help but in the end it is still a foundation. You might also consider lowering the height of the pickups, or just let it be the animal it is.

3. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

My Foundation is a little different. I replaced the tone control with a Seymour Duncan Blackouts two band tone circuit. I am astounded at the sound I can get out of this bass.
    Everything from the "close enough to P" sound you get out of a J neck pickup soloed, to J and Ric and MM all in one package. With the blend of the two volumes and the boost cut of the two frequencies, its a do it all bass.
    I have never messed with the pickup heights much. What I got was a happy accident, but I'm keeping it.

4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Interesting upgrade. Stock I hear P, Ric and subtle jazz like references.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RED J

Yes. The boost of the tone circuit makes them jump out. Soloing the bridge pickup and really boosting the bottom end is what brings out the MM. I wasn't expecting that at all.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Wow...I was thinking about options with tone controls......maybe paper in oil caps for each volume control and tone control.

Now I have another option.

I thought I was hearing some Rickenbacher influence with the bridge pickup....especially with my Eden Metro amp which has a nice eq setup.

8. RED J

Bridge pickup treble boosted Roundabout city.

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

What are other circuits similar to the Seymour Duncan Blackout 2 band circuit?

I have years of experience with guitar pickups & and volume & tone controls but a newbie to bass.

Does this Duncan circuit still allow the stock Foundation sounds?

10. brainburst

brainburst

I have a foundation and have really had no need for a preamp. When using both pickups in series it sounds like a P-Bbass on steroids and the tone control acts almost like a bass boost when rolled all the way down.

11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks, I read that somewhere....I will probably buy another Foundation beings how they are stupid reasonable considering overall quality.

I may go ahead and try the Duncan 2 band EQ in the Foundation but I may try series wiring too.

I can always use the Duncan 2 band EQ in my Aria bass as well.

12. RED J

Brainburst's input got me thinking further. It inspired me to watch a couple of G&L SB 2000videos. They have active/passive, series parallel options. While the G&L are full humbuckers, I'm really intrigued by the idea of series parallel passive and active possibilities in the Foundation. I'm going to look around for some wiring diagrams.
    I think they will be found as Jazz bass diagrams, but the configuration is the same. I'll get back.