80s USA peavey t-20 bass. Should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Mar 14, 2014.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

hey guys so i have the chance to buy this off a guy for 125. it's missing the truss rod cover and the knobs but otherwise seems to be in good condition. anybody know anything about this bass in particular?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

They are really nice basses and if the neck and electronics are fine I would go for it.
  3. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

thanks for the reply man. im wondering how it's going to compare to my Squier VM jazz bass and if it'll be an improvement or not. i'm digging the vibe of it though. and it also comes with a hardshell case too which i forgot to mention
  4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Do it now. Run to that deal, and don't look back!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Do it, it's a fine instrument. I have a fretless model.
  7. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

nice, how does it play? like i stated above im hoping it's somewhat of an improvement over my Squier, or at least something different to offer in the way of sonic goodness.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It will be a different sound and a nice complement to your Jazz.
  9. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

superb!
  10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

It will definitely have some grunt that a squier jazz will not offer readily. Great juxtapositions to one another.
  11. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

nice!. thanks for the advice folks. anybody feel free to chime in also. i will be headed out to Brooklyn to pick this baby up tomorrow
  12. SirMjac28

Find out who you want to leave it to? they are built like tanks and will probably outlast all of us and in the end there will be nothing left but roaches and Peavey's :)
  13. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    The necks on the T-20's are very nice, quality US made stuff. And the Super Ferrite pickups have a nice, aggressive sound. You can't go wrong at that price. If you don't like it, you can likely flip it here on TB and even pick up a little coin.
  14. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Haha
  15. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Sounds like I've made the right choice in this, hah.
  16. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Like the other poster said.....RUN, don't walk to snag this deal before someone else gets it!

I own two T20s....a standard maple board fretted and a T20FL rosewood board fretless. They are wonderful basses in every way. USA-made, ash body, sturdy neck, GREAT pickup! The Super-Ferrite pickup may be one of the best "passive" pickups ever made. Either of my T20s walk all over my VM Precision for tone. As an added bonus, the unique diagonally-mounted pickup on these have a built-in "thumb rest"!

You will find that the neck is wider than that on your VM Jazz. If you can live with this (and the flatter fretboard), you will love this bass! Average selling price on these (at evilBay) is around $250.00 plus, and when you add a case, $350.00 is not uncommon.

Which is why I'm hoping you're ALREADY at the seller's house, closing this deal! Congrats in advance for a FANTASTIC score. Here's a few pics of mine....

[​IMG][​IMG]

A quick Google search will find the downloadable .PDF file with the complete original owner's manual. Read, setup, play....ENJOY! And welcome to the world of vintage Peavey's.

WARNING....this is a highly virulent disease, once contracted. It is NOT fatal, but there is no cure for "Vintage Peavey Acquisition Syndrome". Ask me how I know.

17. eldoryder

Oh, and P.S......remember what a good price you got this bass for when you realize that the current evilBay price on used and original Peavey knobs (which are missing on yours) are anywhere from $25.00 to $30.00 APIECE! Which may be one of the reasons you're getting such a good deal!

18. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Haha good stuff man! I'll be getting that standard maple one as well! I've read the knobs alone are expensive, but it will probably be worth it. The guy has been unresponsive so I'm getting really nervous this guy is gonna back out or something. Really hope this isn't the case cause I think I'm gonna end up loving me some vintage peavey too!
  19. eldoryder

Well, at least you only need TWO knobs, and not FOUR as you would on a T40!

I have found a T60 guitar in a pawnshop that is "reasonably"-priced at $200.00. Problem is, it's missing ALL FOUR of the knobs. Add $100.00 for four knobs on a guitar with no case, and it's no longer "such a deal", eh?

P.S. Go ahead and drive over to the seller's house and camp out on his doorstep until he gets back home. Greet him with cash. DON'T let this T20 slip away! Just my .02.

20. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Yea that's true. Well he responded finally, and I'm driving out there now! Swoop swoop
  21. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

To each his own, but I wouldn't get too excited about a T-20 with missing knobs and truss cover for $125. Unless it's in otherwise great condition with a felt lined bomb case. Then, maybe.

T-20's are not rare. They're everywhere. You could easily get a nice, complete example in the $200 range. Check the completed ebay auctions and see for yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Bass-/4713/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=T 20&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

There's a few pitfalls to be aware of with these old Peaveys. Bringing a beater back up to snuff can cost more than what a perfect one typically sells for.

Cracked pick guard, missing parts, non-original parts. Some of the T-20 parts are unique to the bass and difficult to find.

ANY fret, truss, or neck issue is a huge red flag.

Good luck.