'81 Peavy T40 feeler question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sleedo, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Sleedo

Sleedo Supporting Member

So I picked up the above bass from a guy at work, it's a beast and I won't be playing it. No idea what it might be worth so I'm asking the forum members for advice. If this is not the appropriate forum please let me know.

This bass appears to be unplayed, hardly a mark on it. It does have a pickguard that is split, looks like the plastic shrunk.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed B

Attached Files:

2. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Do an advanced search here or on ebay (completed listings) to get an idea on what they are going/not-going for.

An advanced search on ebay will show you every listing for these over the last 90 days.
  3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

It does look in really good shape. Inside of case looks brand new (sometimes the lining is missing!!)
    That would "list" in Germany for a grand lol.
    If it was me i would take lots of hi-res pics and list it on evilbay. You will probably get more for it than listing on TB
  4. Sleedo

Sleedo Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback, I was considering ebay but there always seems to be considerable hassle dealing with that kind of sale. I rather have someone look at the goods in person so there is no misunderstanding.

So I plugged this bass in last night and the neck p/u is not working. I suspect it is the selector switch at fault, the phase switch seems to be intermittent also. I haven't pulled the pickguard off yet to check things out but wanted to know if I should leave things as is? I don't want to de-value the bass by doing any repairs/restoration. Do you think I should leave it alone or try to get it working?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I wouldn't bother with it. Just make sure it's mentioned in any listing you make so they know exactly what they're getting.
  7. Immigrant

Immigrant

If I were in your shoes, I'd post it in the classifieds here first and give the fine citizens of TB a chance before posting it on eBay and letting them get their much unneeded cut.

I believe I saw a similar bass in the classifieds recently. That may give you a ballpark figure on what you might fetch.
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

I used to have a T40 back in the 80's and the only part of the bass that was lacking seemed to be those switches. It's an easy fix. I'd leave it all original if you intend to sell it, with disclosure of the switch issues. Any interested party will likely be aware of the simplicity of the fix. If you prefer to sell it completely working, you may want to first try to spray some contact cleaner on to the back side of the switches. It could be as simple as that to get it working again, unless the switch itself is broken.

Several of these T-40's have sold in the classified section. Doing a search will show the price range that these typical sell for. They are still a pretty popular model, despite their weight.
  9. Sleedo

Sleedo Supporting Member

Just finished removing the pickguard and magically the p/u started working. ;-) Looked like a sloppy soldering job, iron melted insulation and grounded the p/u. Rearranged the wires and left it as is. Sprayed some contact cleaner and buttoned her up. Sounds terrific now!
  10. dune2k

dune2k

Unless you're on tour and have no other option, never do this.
    Contact cleaner consists of acid+oil+some other ingredients and will further corrode the pots. There are special products to clean pots, either use them or replace the pot if it gets scratchy and turning it a few times won't fix it.