810 or 2-410's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ericg3, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ericg3

ericg3

Is there some benefit to an 810 over 2-410's. Seems it would be easier to cart around 2-410's and u only need to bring one if you feel it will suffice

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

This would be better answered in the "Amp's" forum. PM the Mod's to move it.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  4. ericg3

ericg3

sorry - i'm not sure what i'm doing yet with posting. Hopefully this ends up in the right place !

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ma4rk

ma4rk

Both have pros & cons: I find moving an 8x10 easier if it has the tilt back design - loading in & out of car (yes they can fit in a lot of small cars) is easy as you just tilt it back & slide it into the car. Even if a 4x10 has wheels you still have to bend over to push it & also lifting is a hassle (twice if have two) if you're not into hitting the gym all the time like me. Then again, an 8x10 looks cumbersome if your guitarist/s are using combos which is the reason mine sits at home collecting dust.

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

I had the same decision a couple of years ago and went the 2x410 route for flexibility purposes. I sometimes think the fridge would've sounded better but I'll never know.

8. ericg3

ericg3

thats what i'm wondering - would you normally expect a better sound out of an 810 ? Why would it matter since u still have 8 10" speakers ?

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I'll take an 810 over a pair of 410s any day - BTDT, and am not going back...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This...

- georgestrings

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I prefer my 8x10 over any pair of 4x10s I have ever played on.

12. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

If I were planning on using one 410 most of the time, I’d go with two of those,

but if eight 10s were conducive to most gigs, I’d go with the 810.

13. Marko5657

Do you prefer it because of the sound, or the man-handling of the cab?

I have two Fender Pro 410s, 78lbs each… the 810 would be 157 lbs.

Yeah, an 810 slides nice into the back of a truck, but there are a lot of other stairs and situations that have to be accommodated besides that. One cab at 78lbs is manageable, and easy with two guys…

157lbs, I’d be getting the rolleyes when asking for help.

And on most smaller stages, an 810 would simply look ridiculous imo.

Actually I’d prefer one 215 as a happy medium.

:)

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

They never look ridiculous. Not to me anyway.

Manhandling them is never a consideration for me. My admiration of mine is wholly based on the way it sounds and the power handling capability.

15. Marko5657

I’d think the power handling capability between one 810 and two 410s would be about the same, but I’ve been wrong before.

As for looking ridiculous, I’m guessing you play larger stages than I usually play… good for you!

And if what works for you works for you and makes you happy, it’s all-good!

As for me, I’m doing one 34lb 212 (w/PA support), but I’m working on going strictly DI (presently not getting enough volume from the monitors, but I’ll figure that out), haha.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Sometimes larger, sometimes incredibly small. Sometimes I go through the PA, sometimes I don't, depending on the room ( usually I do though). My drummer has a double bass kit, with 2 floors, 2 snares, rotos, blah,blah, blah. Takes 12 mics to close mic that sucker. I never look ridiculous next to that. In fact I would look ridiculous with a teeny little baby Jesus amp. lol

I used to use a pair of 410s. When I switched to the 810, I had to turn my amp down considerably. It handles more power and much more low end than the cabs I was using, though I suspect better 410s could be comparable or even have a higher power rating.

I am in no way saying that an 810 is always the best solution. There are way too many variables to make a statement like that. I ain't even saying it is what is best for the OP. It obviously isn't what works best for you. To each their own. It's just my opinion based on my admittedly limited experience.

17. Marko5657

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have an 810 and two 410 cabs. I use the two 410's more often for the reasons you mentioned. Easier to move and I only bring one if needed.

19. meatwad

meatwad

I had an Ampeg 8x10, now I have two Ampeg 4x10 cabinets. Honestly, there isn't a lot of difference tone-wise IMO, even if the two cab setup seem a little louder at times. When stacked, they do equal up to being a few inches taller, bringing the top speakers closer to ear level, perhaps explaining the "louder" perception.

20. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I use to 2 410's. The ability to use one 410 has been fantastic. Plus, I can put them both in the backseat of my truck without having to slide it across anything.

21. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

That's kind of messed up - any band I've ever been in, we've always helped each other with moving gear...

- georgestrings