1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

810 recomendations for an SVT4...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hab101, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hab101

Hab101

I own a SVT4 and Im getting an 810 as soon as posible.
    The svt4 delivers 1200W at 4Ohm so I was thinking in this two cab:

-MesaBoogie Standard Powerhouse 810--1200W
    -Aguilar DB 810--1400W

My first thought was the Ampeg 810 Heritage, but I tought it handled less power--800W--than others, plus the "dark" sound I think it has.

I play in a classic cover band--Purple, Zeppelin, Guns, ZZTop, Hendrix, etc, but I will also use it for other music, maybe a bit modern, slap thing with a bit of metal stuff. That-s why I thouht that the Ampeg810 would sound a bit to dark to me.

Please, any suggestion is welcome.
    Thankyou

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Don't be fooled by the power handling ratings. If Ampeg used the same rating system that the others used, it would be rated at 1200w. Most companies use the rating that causes the voice coils to blow, while Ampeg uses the rating that causes fartout to happen, which is lower. I can guarantee you that they'll all start farting out at approximately the same volume level.

As for the "dark" sound, it doesn't have a tweeter, but the woofers are as bright as any other woofers, and in the case of Aguilar, even brighter than their woofers. With all due respect to the others, the Heritage is the best 810 that Ampeg has ever put out in their history. Sounds like my beloved flatback 810 from 73 (the previous standard), but is lighter, easier to move, and handles way more power.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
  4. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

I'm a Mesa guy at heart and have been playing Mesa amps for the past year and a half, but those Aguilar cabs really intrigue me. I run a Mesa 4X12 and would love to try the Aguilar stuff. The Mesa 810 will pound, but is heavier then an Ampeg 810e (173lbs) so that may be an issue. Both are top notch companies and I don't think you can go wrong either way but trying them out in person is your best bet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    PH 8x10 = Victory

I always like Ampeg heads more through Mesa cabs than Ampeg cabs. I feel like they reveal/unleash them a little more.

You can't go wrong with any of those options though, including the standard Ampeg fridge.

7. inri222

inri222

SWR Megoliath

You can probably find a used one for a decent price.

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Does it have to be an 810?

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I owned one for a while... Megoliath is no joke. It had the most massive low end I've ever experienced. It makes the air thick with earthquake at any volume. I'd say it still has the "SWR" voicing which doesnt agree with all amps IMO. Even though it's one of biggest and shiniest cabs out there the SWR-voice was why I sold mine... Ampeg/Mesa style cabs a bigger low mid profile suits me better.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

For volume, low end, and clarity of notes, the PH810 is tops for 810s, with the Megoliath a very close 2nd... I've owned 3 different SVT810e cabs, and have owned a PH810 for a few years now - it would take two Ampeg 810s to keep up with one PH810...

- georgestrings

12. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I owned the Mesa 810 for a long time, and only got rid of it because it was just way too much for what I was doing. I miss it so much. Of all the full sized cabs I have ever tried, and I have tried and still try every one I can, the Mesa wins in tone, power, portability, and sexyness (Bow-chicka-bow-wow).

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I call this the SVT killer:

[​IMG]

Although it's also been known to make guitar half stacks it's bitch, too...

- georgestrings

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Find a SWR Megoliath 8x10.....AWSOME tones and very good!
    Just a thought. +3

15. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

I've seen a mint one go for as low as $400 on CL locally. If I hadn't already bought 2 cabs, a head, and 3 basses this year I would've picked it up....

16. Hab101

Hab101

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I've got check out the SWR.

Also forgot to mention the EBS 810, wich is quite easy to find here in Spain. That is a monster. But I already have a 410EBS (sounds great with the Svt-4), so I wanted to check something else.

Mesa is my best option now.

17. Hab101

Hab101

¡¡Wow!! I'm in love with this...la bestia parda... ¡¡Joder!!.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

The sound it puts out is even more impressive than it's looks - I never had to push that rig hard, even while sharing the stage with 2 Triple Rec halfstacks for several years... I'm not even using it these days, but can't bring myself to sell it, since it's that good - the only downside is the weight, which is 173lbs, as mentioned... Still, the way it's designed, the weight is more manageable than one would imagine

If you want loud, low, and clear - there isn't a better production cab made, IMO/IME... I have to say the Megoliath is a close 2nd, and can often be found for great prices on the used market... I also have to say that if I was playing classic rock, I'd probably use this instead:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings

19. Hab101

Hab101

Really cool...

Do you think pairing my 410 with a 215 is a good idea? I doubt here because of the phasing problems.
    Or maybe it's better idea to go with the 810 alone, or just the 215 alone?

I have little experience with 15"s. I want mid-low punch (I really get it with my 410), but I'd like to add some deepness to my rig. Which combination would you think is better for the classic covers?:

-410/215

Thank you

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

No, I wasn't suggesting pairing up anything - you wouldn't need more than that PH215 by itself... Other suggestions that would work well for your stated purposes are the PH412 and G-K's 412 Neo...

*For me*, the PH810 worked great for modern rock, hard rock, and metal - whereas the PH215 works better for classic rock, blues, and country - I can get the job done with either, but those choices seemed more voiced towards my tonal goals...

- georgestrings

21. Hab101

Hab101

I'm looking for more deepness in my sound. I like the sound I'm getting with the 410 but I think I can improve it.

The SVT4 can deliver 1200W at 4Ohm in monobridge mode, wich is what I'm looking for. So, my first thought was getting an 810 because of the punch and lows. This way I would have the 410 for smaller gigs and the 810 for bigger ones. But then (weight and size count, but it's no big problem) I came into thinking that the 810 would not get the deep notes I want (maybe a bunch of lows but not the deep mid-lows...I never played throuhg an 810, so I'm confused.

I have to reconsider your 2x15 or 4x12 option.