1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

810E vs. PR410HLF (a step up?)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Nov 25, 2010.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Which one would you consider to be the more bulletproof of the two cabs? I play LOUD, and believe it or not, the 810E isn't giving me enough decibels, even with a 1001RBII on top. I remember the PR series being the ultimate Ampeg cabs, but will a PR410HLF REALLY outrun an 810E?

Round one....FIGHT!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    no, not even close. the 410hlf goes way lower, so the tradeoff for that is less volume. add that to the fact that you only have half the speakers, so you get way less volume there, too.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I can tell you that a Mesa PH610 will get louder than an SVT810e, and a PH810 will get significantly louder - same thing with a Goliath Sr and Megoliath...

- georgestrings

4. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

I have a pair of PR-410HLF cabs, and that is a step up for me but not for everyone. The PR cabs are very modern sounding compared to the vintage 810E cabs I've played so taste is a factor in comparing them. I agree with Jimmy on the range and volume. Two PR410HLF cabs though should be nearly as loud as a 810E. The PR cabs are very rugged and durable...darn heavy too. 130 lbs is a lot for a 4x10. Ampeg also made a PR-810HLF that weighed about 212 lbs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

maybe time for a second amp and cab......but i think the best solution is pa support

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

The main thing is, I need more volume. I feel like I'm running my current rig close to maximum capacity, and sooner or later something is going to fail catastrophically. After doing a bit more research, I'm starting to think that a PR410HLF isn't the answer. I'll have to look into the Mesa PH line of cabs, or maybe find a used Basson 810. The style of music I play calls for a lot of solid, thick low end, and I'm going up against 2 full stacks. Playing really loud in drop C is just too much for the average bass gear I'm afraid. PA support really isn't an option, most of the places we play use 2 cabs on stands and run vocals/kick drum only.

8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

then i think you may be beyond a single amp solution.....why not get a second fridge,and head/power amp/slave....

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Basson is not the answer - either a PH810 or Megoliath *should* get you there - if not, then keep adding cabs and amps 'til you get there... I play in a really loud band with 2 halfstacks(triple rec and 6505+), and spend alot of time in the lower ranges of a BEADG tuned 5er, and one PH810 is more than enough for me... In fact, I'm running my gain @ 2 O'clock(for tonal preference) and my Master volume at only 10 O'clock with a Mesa M-pulse 600 thru a PH810, and have to be careful not to drown out the guitars... Of course, a big difference between us is that ALL my gigs are PA supported - with a minimum of four 18s for subs - but our stage volumes are pretty loud, though...

Lastly - when I was mostly gigging the 700rb-II, if I needed to hear myself better in a mix - I got excellent results by backing off the Contour knob...

Here's my answer for loud guitars - this amp and cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

My goodness George, that cab is BEAUTIFUL! I bet it's gonna set me back quite a bit more than my 810E did. Thanks for the input, I'll have to do some serious research on those cabs.

11. johnboy65

johnboy65 Supporting Member

What head are you running?

12. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

I play a SVT-6Pro through a Classic 410HLF and love it. I never push it too hard cause the 6 puts out 1100 watts RMS at 4 ohms when the cabs handling is only 500 RMS and 1000 peak.

But [expletive deleted] does it sound nice.

[​IMG]

13. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Yeah, the PH810 should stomp any Ampeg cab for volume. I've thought about going that route myself, but I haven't found a Powerhouse 8x10 for sale anywhere near me. I've played one though...great cab.

Playing low C tuning with two full stacks is a tall order!

He said there's a "1001RBII on top" (Gallien-Krueger).

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

I've killed a few SVT 410HLFs...

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Thanks - I had to drive 500 miles round trip to pick it up, but it was well worth it - I got it for $800 plus tax, and it's practically new - only a year old, and still has the original cover... Here's my other cab:

[​IMG]

If I ever needed more than the M-pulse 600 + PH810 could provide(highly unlikely, though), I'd slave my 700rb-II off the 600 to push that 610... I'd imagine that 600 Mesa watts thru one of their 810s PLUS 480 G-K watts thru a Mesa 610 could handle ANY gig a bassist could ever play...

- georgestrings

16. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

My goodness, anything more than that, and I might as well start investing in 18" sub bins to play through haha. I wonder if I'd be able to throw a PH810 in the back seat of my car as easily as I can with my SVT 810E...

17. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Killed? How?

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

I've had speakers fart hard under stage volume conditions, and fail completely under loud practice conditions. Pushed em too hard trying to get enough mids and overall usable volume. The ultra-low end that the HLF produced was completely counterproductive to hearing myself on stage.

19. mustbampeg

mustbampeg

Roll off the bass and try adding some midrange into your sound... will prolly sound like crapola when you play by yourself, but the tone will shine more when the guitars join in... other than that: add more speakers. period.

Randy

20. Sartori

Sartori

Second 810.

Originally, one 810 is actually a half stack.

Dial out some lows, add gobs of low mids. You'll be louder. Do you play doom metal? If not, why are your guitarists using full stacks?

21. silky smoove

silky smoove

Agreed with the EQ recommendations. How about having your guitar players turn down a bit?

What stages are you playing where the soundguy allows two guitar full stacks to be run hot enough to bury an 8x10 running at nearly full tilt?

If those levels of volume are really necessary for the kind of music you're playing (by the way... they're not) then it's time to start looking at a pair of 8x10's, each running with their own amp. Oh, and one more thing... Please wear ear plugs.