1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

82 Gibson Grabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hobobob74, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

So, i did some searching, but just needed some extra opinion.

I have the chance at an 82 Grabber in Red. Plays nice, neck is straight, only a few dings where the string enter the back for the string through, no case:(

Guys looking for $800. Is that fair?

Was just kind of wondering what people think of these, ive never played one myself, and didn't know if there where 'common' issues with them.

Thanks guys!
  2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Fair price (if the finish is original). Play it first if you can and see if you like it.

I played one of these a few weeks for a gig once. I found the tone to be AMAZING on it's own, but it got quite lost in the band mix.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Not a bad price if it is in really good original condition and has the original case. Lost in the band mix? Not in my experience. I have a '78 that just kicks ass, it's a gritty nasty Rock and Roll bass. http://youtu.be/hYeo8am2iyc
  4. lavmonga

lavmonga

They sounds pretty awesome, and the price is fair. But I'd still play it first, definitely a different feel than the Tbird your profile says you're using.
  5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Now that I think about it, it was a Ripper I played that wasn't "ripping" through the band mix. Could've been my amp, but I never have that prob w/ my P or Jazz bass.

It was this exact bass, actually.
    [​IMG]
  6. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    That explains much! Ripper pups are weak as day old kittens!
  7. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I have over 40 basses the Grabber sees some stage time from time to time but mostly it's 60's NR Thunderbirds :)
  8. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

I played it, it plays nice. It just seems like its a one trick pony. Just kinda always muddy and with then tone all the way open, it just doesn't seem to really get any zing to it.

So I guess my thoughts where, if 800 is a good deal, I'd buy it just because. If I can flip it, cool. But if 800 is about what its worth then idk, I'd rather pay a little more for an eb-0 or something.

Just seeing what people thought. Never owned an old Gibson before:(
  9. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Sounds like it needs new strings. If you think the Grabber is Muddy just wait till you try the EB0!
  10. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

Haha, I knew that was coming. Mud is good, don't get me wrong, but it has brand new strings and just, well, nothing, lol. Needs some stainless strings on it.

But it just, to me, didn't have that classic Gibson tone, mud or not.
  11. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Thats a fine deal. If you like it, get it. Bonus points if bridge cover is present and pickup slides well.

I like the red color a lot.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The grabber is definitely deep, but by no means muddy. They have a ton of low mid but really cut through especially with the tone up and pickup all the way back. $800 is a good price for a rare color.
  13. monkeyland

monkeyland Supporting Member

If you do buy that bass I may have a case for it. I used to have a ripper that got stolen but the case did not. I think that old case is still kicking around my families house from years ago.
  14. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

Yes, bridge cover is there and pup slides nice.

Thanks for the input!
  15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I'll always have a soft spot for The Grabber - learned to play on one in high school (1978). I was a tuba player in the jazz band. School bought a Grabber and a Fender Bassman 135. I beat the crap out of that rig (sorry Mr. Milford) playing AC/DC in the garage with my buddies.:D
  16. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Rippers are alright, i have no problem cutting through with mine although I do agree with others, their output isn't the loudest but its quite versatile and has sounds in there for everyone.