1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'82 Washburn SB-40 EQ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uber Soldat, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Uber Soldat

Uber Soldat

New here.

Some pics of my 1982 Washburn SB-40 EQ bass. I have had it for about 9 years now. When i first bought it i knew absolutely nothing about it. Searching on the net at that time yielded no results. 9 years later i thought i might as well try find a little more info about it and to my surprise (from what some people tell me) it is quite rare. :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was hoping that some of you might have some more info on this particular bass. :)
  2. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

I don't know anything about them but I like it. I'm diggin the reversed P pup!! :bassist: It looks like a Matsumoku factory creation. You might post some pics and questions here, under the Washburn subforum:

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php
  3. checkeverything

checkeverything

Bakhithi Khumalo the bass player from Paul Simon's album 'Graceland' plays this same model except that its a fretless, without fretmarkers. Its the same bass you hear on all the tracks he did on the 'Graceland' album, which includes 'You can call me Al'. There is also a live video from this period which shows him playing this bass. Not sure whether you can still get a copy of it....on DVD?
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

+1

I was just about to point that out!

Although Bakithi's bass is in sunburst. And yeah, you can get the Graceland concert on DVD (I have it). His tone on Graceland was just amazing. Best fretless tone ever imo, and the second best record ever (after Rush's "Hold Your Fire").
  5. checkeverything

checkeverything

yes, what a sound! I remember hearing it and thinking that it was some bass sarod...singin! And it was a diffferent sound from Jaco's ...refreshing. Must have been attributed to the position of that extreme back Jazz pickup. Don't think he plays them anymore- think he uses Warwicks now.
  6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx

Well, Jaco was a big influence on him, he named a track on one of his solo albums after him IIRC! But he definitely had his own sound coming from the whole mqabanga style.

But yeah, he doesn't play the Washburn these days. I've seen him with Lakland basses and I know there was a guy on here who had a Lakland fretless 5 string that used to be his. I don't think he plays Warwicks, he has been playing a custom 6 string fretted of some sorts for a good few years now, among other things, but I don't recall there being a Warwick.
  7. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Having owned quite a few Electra's over the years, I must say the Mat Factory P pups are awesome. I have one in an Aria P bass right now that I would NEVER part with. I have a second one that I'm considering installing in a Peavey Fury. I also have a double P Pup Electra that I'm refinishing. It has two of the pickups, plus the 18v preamp. The thing is a tone monster. I'm suprised more pros don't seek them out.
  8. lebowski11

lebowski11

I have an original 1981 SB40eq I had to change the pick ups from DiMarzio to EMG IN ORDER TO gig but the bass gigged well. What is it worth?
  9. lebowski11

lebowski11

It is rare made famous by the neck through and the fact that it was played by Rudy Sarzo from Quiet Riot and then Ozzy with Randy Rhodes.
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Welcome, UberSoldat! Go join the Washburn Club in the basses forum!! Whats the serial number on that beauty? Did you get any original paperwork with that when you found it?
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Another SB'er!! Great. Whats the serial number on yours? Any original documents that came with it? Are you already in the Washburn Club? ANYONE with an SB just HAS to join us!!!!
    As to value, way too many people just do not appreciate an early '80's Washburn so I have seen prices from roughly $350 to $650 depending on condition.
  12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

What is really odd about Bakhithi's fretless Washburn is that it has the B-40 electronics package and actually IS a B-40. Yet I have seen two now that actually have an SB-40 truss rod cover on them. B-40's appear to have come out in 1979. The SB-40 was initially produced in 1979 for release as a new 1980 model. I bought mine (SB-40) as soon as it hit the store in late 1979. SB's ALWAYS come with 3 knobs/1 toggle/1 mini-switch. B-40's came out with 4 knobs and 1 toggle. B-40's electronics were dropped for the B-40 by 1982 and replaced with the SB's electronic package of 3/1/1 and then renamed the B-40EQ.
    Once again, Washburn made a mystery for everyone by putting an SB truss rod cover on a B-40. The question that will probably be unanswered forever is: WHY?
  13. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

hello! i also have an sb40 eq. I believe mine is an 81 tho.

some differences -

i cannot tell, is that a missing cap for a knob ..or is it another toggle selector?

my sb40 eq has 4 knobs and 1 selector toggle

the brass nuts are a cool feature, also the string thru body bridge and neck thru bridge.

one more question! :)
    the pole pieces on my p pups have almost a hallowed center, where the jazz ones have a full flat pole. I am thinking these may be after market p pups? does yours have these?

great bass!!
  14. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

OEM Dimarzio's
  15. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

i am sorry, but what does OEM stand for? I have heard of dimarzio pickups before.

but after looking at some other pictures of these basses, i notice the same thing in each one.

also another guy describing a similiar problem with them, where the P pups have a way higher output than the Js.

that being the case, do you think it'd be worth possibly upgrading the bridge J pickup? or leaving this old beauty as she is
  16. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

It means Dimarzio had a manufacturing deal with the Japanese, and supplied them with U.S. standard stock(usually) pickups. I crack up laughing every time I hear about somebody switching out the stock MIJ Ibanez pickups for "real" Dimarzio's.
  17. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Why don't these companies just say what kind of pickups they are? No idea why.
  18. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

yeah i'd never change out the p pups, they sound fantastic. more often than not, i will have it only on the P setting. but for different songs, the J sounds nice..but it just looses its girth...

which made me wonder in the first place if there was a mis match with pickups, and if i should think about replacing the J BRIDGE pickup, not the P

recently ive just been dialing down the J pickup volume when i have the toggle on middle, but as soon as it gets below 7-8 ... , to me, it sounds like the P has already dominated the mix
  19. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

The P pickup is naturally higher output than the J., plus the location of the pickup matters with that.
  20. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

yes, i have concluded that.

so replacing the J pickup would be un necessary then, is what you are saying? Any J pickup, being matched with a P and being set back as far as it is, would also have the same "issue" ??