83 '62 RI - value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbdbdb, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dbdbdb

dbdbdb

Anyone have any idea what an average 1983 '62 RI Fender P-Bass goes for? I'm considering buying one. Thanks in advance.
  2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Average? around 2k with everything original.
  3. Farfetched

Farfetched

2k avg is about right. Maybe even 1800 if you want to sell it in this market. More depending on condition. Much more if custom colored.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Lately seems more like 1500 for a P, and a couple hundred more for a J. At 2k flat, they seem to just sit unless it's a custom color.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dbdbdb

dbdbdb

thanks TB'rs!
  7. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Is it the one on eBay? Agree with the others. Clearly eBayflation going on there if that's the one. (Though there is a "Make Offer" option.)
  8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

To be honest if it's not a custom color I would be surprised if one would sell for $1500 in this market. I got a late 80's one for just around $650 recently, newer ones seem to sell at the $900-$950 mark and I would say $1300 for an early 80's Fullerton.

It's a great time to be a buyer.
  9. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

$650 for a late '80s AVS P is a great price. The early ones do still command a premium, regardless of finish. Not as high as a few years ago, but then nothing is.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

do those have that weird wide/thin neck that feels like holding a giant yardstick?
  11. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

They do, but feel nothing like a yardstick. More like a 70's Ric. Or a '57 P bass.
  12. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that it was a standard price for that year. That was a decent score.
  13. havuk

havuk

I found an '83 all original accept for the pickups, they had been replaced with EMGs. Does this lower the value much?
  14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I think the value of late 70's through early 80's basses can really vary, weight can be a factor as well as original condition and colour combination. The addition of EMG(or any active) pickups could reduce the value if there's been material removed for a battery. A small route for a 9V battery was a pretty standard operation at one point, it's not a "deal breaker" by any means but it does reduce the value somewhat these days.
  15. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

They didn't make reissues in the late '70's!

I agree with $1500 max for a '83 P RI if it's really good, all original, and plays good. Quite frankly I've never understood the desire for the early '83, '84 reissues. Yes they were made in the Fullerton plant and it was an attempt to recreate the instruments from the early preCBS era, but I've owned quite a few of them and they really don't play that good. The quality of the wood was not good and there were a lot of necks problems and some of them weighed a ton. Unless you can get areally good deal on one I'd spend that kind of money on something better.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Yes, I am aware of this. The late 70's basses do seem to have some of the same weight/QC issues as the early 80's basses, that was my point. The fluctuation in market price is very similar the best I can tell.
  17. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

The quality really bumped up in the early 80's vs the late 70's. I would not lump the time time periods together at all. When the new management took over things went up. Now there were alot of changes made to the standard line that have not proven to be popular with players or collectors but that does not reflect on the quality. The early 80's reissues are a different beast altogether and are known for their high quality and general desirability on the used market.
  18. Dubista

Dubista

Yes
  19. PJRL

PJRL

I think it's just they have become collectable because 82-83 is the first couple years of re-issuing them. I’ve seen a couple strats form that era and they really aren’t all that special, 3-piece bodies, very thin necks, and so…… For that kind of money I’d be looking at a custom shop model. They are the most accurate re-issues.
  20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

There were NO "custom" colors for the Vintage Series instruments in 1982-'85. They were available in sunburst, white, black, Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, Fiesta Red, and the sunburst (two-tone or three-tone depending on whether they were '57 or '62). Not at all custom, those were the choices dealers had for ordering them. While my LPB VS '62 P is more rare because 'burst, black, and white were more popular, it was in no way a custom order. And we sold a good number of LPB VS '62 Strats, more than we did 'bursts.

John
  21. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I've never played a heavy Fullerton era reissue. In my experience, a solid Fullerton reissue is as good as any custom shop Fender. Also, the body contours and neck profiles are more true to vintage than the later models. There is certainly nothing wrong with reissues from any era, but the early Fullerton models are different. My 82 Fullerton 57 P weighs 8.2 pounds and sounds great. My 84 Fullerton 62 J weighs 8.8 pounds and sounds as good as any Jazz I've ever played or owned. Both are light and very resonant, and I like both better than any of the later reissues I've owned and played.