1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

85 Jazz Special repaint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AdamR, Jan 23, 2013.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I have an 85 Fender jazz Special that I love. It was repaint before I bought it. Originally dark red but repainted pearl white. When I got it it had its share of nicks and scratches which doesnt really bother me.

I added some stickers at one point and later I decided I didnt want them on it anymore. Unfortunately when I removed them it literally pulled the paint right off of the paint right off of the primer.

I decided I liked the bass enough to pull it apart and repaint it. I stripped it down, primed it and blocked it out and then let it sit for a few weeks. Today I got around to spraying it. Metallic white with some extra house of color flake added on top of the base (mixed in to clear base) and 3 coats of clear.

Attached Files:

2. brenner182

brenner182

I love it. Awesome job man.

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Tried to get a better picture. Its hard to see it with a bright back ground. 4 coats of clear. I'll let it dry and wet sand it smooth then reclear it. The flake is so large that I had to use a 2.2 tip to spray it and clear wont lay flat over it.

Attached Files:

4. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Is the neck still original? If so that's gonna look sharp with the black lacquer neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes the neck is original. I was going to paint it to match and leave the front of the headstock black but decided to leave it all black. I kinda wish I put one more coat of flake on it but I didnt want to cover all the white.

Im also debating if I should replace the pickups with a Dimarzio Model P/J set or just leave the stock pick ups in it. They have a really unique tone to them though so I may just leave them for now.

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Heres a before picture

[​IMG]

8. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Looking good and nice booth. I have the same bass that I just painted Honda SI Blue.

I had the same problem burying the flake in the clear. One piece stuck up and caused a pit. I may get another coat of clear or some flames to cover it.

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks. It actually laid down a lot smoother than I thought it would. Just finished wet sanding and buffing it. I'll post more picture soon.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Heres a few more pictures. The flake is hard to get a goo picture of, at least with my phone. It makes it look like really bad fish eyes.

Attached Files: