1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

85 Jazz Special repaint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AdamR, Jan 23, 2013.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I have an 85 Fender jazz Special that I love. It was repaint before I bought it. Originally dark red but repainted pearl white. When I got it it had its share of nicks and scratches which doesnt really bother me.

I added some stickers at one point and later I decided I didnt want them on it anymore. Unfortunately when I removed them it literally pulled the paint right off of the paint right off of the primer.

I decided I liked the bass enough to pull it apart and repaint it. I stripped it down, primed it and blocked it out and then let it sit for a few weeks. Today I got around to spraying it. Metallic white with some extra house of color flake added on top of the base (mixed in to clear base) and 3 coats of clear.

Attached Files:

2. brenner182

brenner182

I love it. Awesome job man.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Tried to get a better picture. Its hard to see it with a bright back ground. 4 coats of clear. I'll let it dry and wet sand it smooth then reclear it. The flake is so large that I had to use a 2.2 tip to spray it and clear wont lay flat over it.

Attached Files:

4. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Is the neck still original? If so that's gonna look sharp with the black lacquer neck.
  5. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes the neck is original. I was going to paint it to match and leave the front of the headstock black but decided to leave it all black. I kinda wish I put one more coat of flake on it but I didnt want to cover all the white.

Im also debating if I should replace the pickups with a Dimarzio Model P/J set or just leave the stock pick ups in it. They have a really unique tone to them though so I may just leave them for now.
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Heres a before picture

[​IMG]
  7. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Looking good and nice booth. I have the same bass that I just painted Honda SI Blue.

I had the same problem burying the flake in the clear. One piece stuck up and caused a pit. I may get another coat of clear or some flames to cover it.
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks. It actually laid down a lot smoother than I thought it would. Just finished wet sanding and buffing it. I'll post more picture soon.
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Heres a few more pictures. The flake is hard to get a goo picture of, at least with my phone. It makes it look like really bad fish eyes.

Attached Files: