1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

86/87 GIBSON IV BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyla1953, Nov 29, 2013.

1. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

I can't find much info on these - Anyone have any experience with one and or know where I can find out about them?

Anything is helpful - Thanks
  2. Helluvatim

Helluvatim

I have one myself, was told it was an 88 model, and these body styles only lasted a few years. Bought it because of its oddity, not so much it's rareness. I haven't come across much info myself
  3. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I had the 5 string version for a while. They sound a lot like a T-Bird but with good upper-fret access. Used to be able to get them really cheap but the prices have climbed a bit over the past couple years
  4. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Can you give me some idea about the nut width, weight, scale, overall quality of the build?
    Is it a closet queen or a regular player?
  5. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

I had a Gibson IV for a while. Very nice bass. It was the standard long scale with a 1 5/8" nut.
    I recall it being very comfortable to play, and very light weight.
    I believe that Gibson used the same pickups in the IV as they did in the Thunderbird, so if you've got an idea of what a mid to late 1980's Gibson Thunderbird sounds like, you're pretty close to what the IV sounds like.
    I only held on to mine for a few months. I ended up flipping it in a G.A.S. fueled frenzy, but I have positive memories of it.