1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

86/87 GIBSON IV BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyla1953, Nov 29, 2013.

1. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

I can't find much info on these - Anyone have any experience with one and or know where I can find out about them?

Anything is helpful - Thanks

2. Helluvatim

Helluvatim

I have one myself, was told it was an 88 model, and these body styles only lasted a few years. Bought it because of its oddity, not so much it's rareness. I haven't come across much info myself

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I had the 5 string version for a while. They sound a lot like a T-Bird but with good upper-fret access. Used to be able to get them really cheap but the prices have climbed a bit over the past couple years

4. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Can you give me some idea about the nut width, weight, scale, overall quality of the build?
    Is it a closet queen or a regular player?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

I had a Gibson IV for a while. Very nice bass. It was the standard long scale with a 1 5/8" nut.
    I recall it being very comfortable to play, and very light weight.
    I believe that Gibson used the same pickups in the IV as they did in the Thunderbird, so if you've got an idea of what a mid to late 1980's Gibson Thunderbird sounds like, you're pretty close to what the IV sounds like.
    I only held on to mine for a few months. I ended up flipping it in a G.A.S. fueled frenzy, but I have positive memories of it.