1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'87 Randall RBA500es

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cyco739z, Sep 1, 2013.

1. cyco739z

cyco739z Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Wow. I just got this full stack. 500 watts with 7 band eq. head w/ 2 ported 15's in one cab & 2 12's in the other. Crazy tone. I love it.... Bring back the 80's! Anyone have/had this amp? I know little about it except I got the whole rig CHEAP. ($100.00) the guy wanted $400.00 but called me back 2 weeks later cuz he was moving and had no room for it. I made the offer, he accepted. It weighs a million pounds... lol. Plugged in and it blew my head off!
  2. cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
  3. cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    wow. nobody has/had any experiences with this dinosaur?
  4. bassteban

bassteban

Not I, sorry. Flea was using some funky Randall piece the first, maybe second time I saw the RHCP's. Bout 86. I got the impression it was what was there(at the venue).
    Thanks for the sweet sig :D
  5. cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Definatly the right era. From the serial # it appears to be a early '87.
    I saw a early Sabbath photo & Geezer Butler was using Randall.Some earlier pics show him using Laney too.
  6. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Well, I have experience with the RG80ES guitar head (which I got royally hosed on in an eBay sale attempt last month). Mine was also an '87 and looked almost exactly like your 500ES. The 80/100ES are metalhead favorites for the gain channel but Randall knew how to make a great-sounding solid-state clean channel too. I bet your amp is a monster - my "80-watt" 80ES was one of my loudest and tightest amps, particularly when using an outboard preamp through the return. It's been my experience that "correctly"-tuned SS guitar heads like that Randall can also make great bass amps too, and with 500 watts... yeah. VERY nice score. I think you'll also find this amp is built INCREDIBLY well / to last the rest of your life if you open it up.

Check to see if any of the pots, particularly the treble pots, pull out. I'm mainly curious... this was an unlabeled feature on the 80/100ES to increase the dirt on the red channel about threefold. (Pulling out the hidden angry pots also, unfortunately, decreases actual channel volume.)
  7. cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Very cool. Gonna check that out as soon as I get home & yes, This thing is built like a tank. I looked it up on Utube and mostly saw the G series for guitar... Im sure I saw a demo of the model you had but as far as bass stuff they had one similar, The RBA500 but not the 500ES. Still not sure of the differance but his had sliding eq instead of knobs & had a smaller head cab. The guy was playing a guitar thru it.... Yes, sludge metal. I havent yet plugged my guitar to it... Dont know if I will. I havent dusted that off in months. Kinda committed to my bass playing lately. A "hidden angry pot" may force me to grab it. :)