1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

8ohm vs 4ohm hypothetical choice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

OK, so, given a choice between connecting 2 8ohm cabs to a 2 channel power amp what would be preferable...
    If amp delivers 500 watts at 4ohm or 300 watts at 8ohm per channel would it be best be to connect a speaker to each channel or to daisy chain for the 500 watt at 4ohm on a single channel.

Any audible difference? Volume?
  2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I could be wrong but I don't think it matters. I have owned some amps that had two speakon jacks on the back and some that only had one. The ones that only had one I would just daisy chain and the ones that had two I would plug each cab into it's own jack.
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The difference between 500 and 600 potential watts will not be audible.
  4. dincz

dincz

8 ohms per side will mean both channels running cool and well under their maximum ratings.