8x10 + 2x15???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ME16510, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ME16510

ME16510

I currently run a Peavey Tour 700 into a Peavey VB-810. If you haven't tried either of these products they're incredible. Personally I prefer the cabinet over an Ampeg SVT-810e. It's ridiculously deep sounding... Anyway I was thinking about getting another cabinet (Peavey VB-215) and another matching Peavey Tour 700 head. I'd be putting them upright next to each other and I was wondering if you guys think it would sound better to get a 2x15 to add some roundness or get another 8x10 to match the other one.

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

2x15 cabs have less lows than 8x10s FYI.

It's about TOTAL speaker area, not individual sizes. Hence why 2x10s go lower and handle more power then a 1x15.

Honestly if you need more than 1 8x10 you are

A
    Too loud

B
    Not EQd right

C
    Not utilizing the PA

3. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

The VB215 is an awesome cab! Never tried the Peavey 810 but if it is as well made and sounds as good as my VB215 it would be an awesome combo. Here's mine with my Orange AD200 MK3...

Attached Files:

4. ME16510

ME16510

In all honesty I really don't trust the sound guy the majority of the time. I play with a loud drummer, and a guitarist with 2 half stacks. I play in a relatively underground genre and we play loud.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ME16510

ME16510

The Peavey "VB" series is all great. I haven't tried the 2x15, but I could guarantee you that the 8x10 is probably just as good. I haven't heard a cabinet as good as it. The peavey naysayers could talk all they want, but I could almost guarantee that these cabinets sound better and are more durable than any other brand's 8x10s.

7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Just be careful considering the Tour 700 can only handle 4 ohms and no lower EX: usually only one large cab. Was the reason I sold mine, though after using two big cabs a few times it's total overkll and I'd never lug a rig like that to a venue I play at, so now I only use one cab anyway.

I really liked the Peavey VB215 over the VB810 that I got to side by side compare years ago. The VB215 just spoke to me and I really wanted to pick it up but it was a little more then I wanted to spend at the time. I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly.

8. ME16510

ME16510

Yeah I was talking about two separate heads and two separate cabinets. Essentially i'd "Y" the signal into two heads which are only powering one cabinet each. I believe both cabinets are 4ohms so it would work fine.

9. Mehve

Mehve

Aside from the issue WHY you need so much volume, you're basically opening the door for all kinds of potential problems. Side-by-side is a recipe for all kinds of phasing issues, as well as severe beaming of higher frequencies. Plus, that much raw volume is almost guaranteed to play hell with the room's sound. Extremely easy to get into a situation where you're the only person in the entire room hearing your rig properly, and with that much stage volume, it'll be impossible for even the best sound person to fix things.

Also, using boxes with different sized speakers to "round things out" is the wrong way to go. Figure out the box that does what you want (even if EQ is needed), than duplicate that if you need more volume.

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Incorrect.
    Frequency response is about the enclosure size and tuning.

11. dukeisdog

Not a bad idea, but I don't think you'll wanna do it for long after having to move those two big cabs around.

12. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

try it, and if you like it, turn it up!

really though, you will have to experiment with placement, because the wave forms can cancel each other out and cause muddy boominess if they are too close. try one on each side of the stage to see how that works.

13. dukeisdog

This seems to be how 3/4 of the touring bands that are running 2 large bass cabs have their gear set up but many people on TB say the best way is to stack your cabs one on top of the other (obviously not gonna be very easy in this case) or side by side.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    And if you bring the cabs and heads you're contemplating, the sound guy will not trust you either - a marriage made in heaven. :)

Seriously though, unless you play arenas that kind of muscle is just a recipe for problems with "too much". There really is such a thing as "too loud", I agree with JellinWellen's ABC.

15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

You'll have to excuse the obligatory TB grandpas who lurk in these parts; they occasionally escape their cages just long enough to furrow their brows in disdain at things they do not understand, and hence fear. Their sole intent is to stop you from having fun, and they can safely be ignored.

Back to the shadows with ye, grandpa! This rig will be glorious to behold!

Re: phasing issues - split your signal and apply a severe highpass to the signal going to the 215 rig and severe lowpass to the signal going to the 810. You'll have virtually nullified any phasing issues regardless of cab placement. You may even be able to get away with it just using the two amps' EQs alone (i.e. bass dimed and treble at 0 for one and reverse on the other, with mids dialed to taste).

Or stack them vertically so you can pierce the eye of God with your javelin from the top!

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    An alternative explanation is that some of the grandpas have "been there, done that" (granted, it was fun) and just want to help you avoid making the same mistakes. :)

17. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Do it. Ignore the naysayers, adjust eq on the different heads. If you play in the type of places my band plays in you're not going to have PA support anyway. Just do it!

18. hsech

hsech I may be old, but that doesn't mean I can't play Gold Supporting Member

I can see it now. You show up to a gig with that huge rig will cause the guitard to run home and get the second bottom for his half stack. Then the drummer will be beat into submission and just throw up his hands and go home. Sounds like a fun idea though if your back can handle moving all that stuff.

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

+1
    It's not necessarily about turning up the volume, it's about the amount of air you move with that many drivers. PA support or not… there's nothing like it. Don't forget that the svt amplifier was made to power 2 8x10 cabinets.

20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

He said guitar is already using two half stacks.

I assume either they're either playing big enough venues to guarantee PA support (or small enough that they bring their own) or their drummer is the ****ing Hulk playing an all titanium kit.

21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

^^^ This just about says it all... :eyebrow:

But hey, at the risk of sounding like a "grandpa", don't let an insignificant little thing such as physics, or the proven principles of proper live sound engineering, or even common sense stand in your way! Who cares whether or not anyone else can hear you accurately? Crank it up to "11"! Blow the doors off! Rock 'n' roll! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

MM