9 volt Rechargeable Battery?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grissle, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Grissle

Grissle

I've got a Line 6 X2 wireless that uses a 9 volt. Awhile back I bought a rechargeable battery (can't remember which kind) that worked but the charge time indicator on the base unit wouldn't. So, are there any Alkaline Rechargeable 9 volts (I couldn't find any) or another type that will work properly?

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

This would be the only type of rechargeable I'd use. Generally, battery technology hasn't kept up with civilization. The old and common Nickel-Cadmium are crap. They tend to short out so much I gave up on my wireless phone because I got tired of putting new Batteries in it. Metal halide batteries have LOTS of power and work great! So I put them in my camera which eats batteries for breakfast. Nice! Only they go dead when sitting. So my camera was NEVER ready any time I wanted to use it. The lithium rechargeables like above are also great and don't go dead when sitting, but are expensive and have a somewhat limited life. They are what's in laptops and my laptop is always needing another $100 battery every couple of years. As they age the amount of power they store gets less and less. My laptop goes from running for hours to running only for about 15 minutes and then it's new battery time.

Lately Ive been going with non-rechargeable 9 volt lithium batteries. They last about 9x longer than alkalines (and cost 9x more!) Works great so long as you don't forget and leave something on and it drains the expensive battery.

As you can see when it comes to batteries there are really no decent solutions to the battery problem. Each is sort of a compromise.

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Could go passive and use a cord...

:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I've had very good luck using the lithium ion and polymer in my X2 transmitters, I bought 2 of each so far get great life out of them. I'll definitely save $ and be a little more environmentally friendly over time. I think one key is to use them til they die, having 2 complete X2 rigs helps because I always have a spare ready to go.

7. jimc

jimc Supporting Member

8. Grissle

Grissle

TB Rocks! Thanks again

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

This seems like a really timely thread. Thanks for getting it started.

It seems my only basses that are seeing gig time now have 9V powered preamps in them. Well, my most recent batch of alkaline throw-aways are only measuring 8.98 - 9.01 V new out of the box. I guess like everything else nowadays every possible corner is being cut in manufacturing costs; including the charge in the throw-away batteries. Sigh.

So, with all of our "outstanding" "progressive" business development in full swing, I am was thinking to "go green" with rechargeables.

So, in addition to those already mentioned, I see these on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/EBLĀ®-Self-dis...d=1394911166&sr=1-23&keywords=rechargeable 9v

But, I also read a bunch of issues in the reviews. Among other things, the Li cells are only around 8.5V fully charged. This doesn't seem like a big deal since the bass preamps seem to be OK down to about 8.1 V or so.

Is anyone else using rechargeables in the active basses? Or are they not ready for prime time yet?

10. Rob22315

Rob22315

I don't use batteries in my active basses anymore. I power them froma wallwart using a TRS cable. PM me if interested and I can send you instructions.