1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

90's Grunge/Alternative Cover bands?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by richntiff, Dec 21, 2012.

1. richntiff

richntiff

So I'm playing in classic rock type cover band right now - but I'm really enamored with the idea of a 90's grunge/alt cover band. I'm thinking Nirvana, Soundgarden, The Offspring, Green Day, RATM, STP, etc plus the 100 million one hit wonders from that time. This is the music that I went to college with - so I really enjoy it! Anyone in a band/project similar to this? I'm curious to know if there is a market for it - I'll play it to play it, but gigging it would be a blast!
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like so much fun if I were in a band I would want exactly the same thing love that era of music throw in some Oasis, Radiohead and Blink 182 and I think the crowd would dig it.
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I'd be up for a coverband like that, myself.
  4. bluewine

bluewine

Depends on your local market. Definitely not in Milwaukee.

Blue
  5. bluewine

bluewine

Keep in mind any time your looking at a gigging project and it's based on what you think is fun and what you like to play. It's always a good idea to find out if there's a market that also thinks it's fun and it's what they want to hear.

Blue
  6. richntiff

richntiff

Curious - why not Milwaukee?
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

This is pretty much my band exactly. Except that we also cover bands like Chevelle, Cavo and a few other current artists. Yes there is a market for it, but you have to go and find the right places to play. Your local watering hole is most likely not the place.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

There's definitely a market for that sort of thing if you play all the hits and not the obscure b-sides.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

And I would bet money there is a market for it in Millwaukee ( or any other major city for that matter), as I said, you just need to find the crowd for it. A good idea would be to listen to a local alternative rock radio station and find out what bars/clubs sponsor them ( where they have their promotional events, etc..) " If you build it, they will come" is NOT the way to market this band. YOU have to go and get it. Every single band you named my band covers and we are heavy on the RATM ( 8 songs currently). We also cover Tool, Godsmack, Ludo, Everclear, The Toadies, Saliva, etc.. We gig as often as we want to.
  10. bluewine

bluewine

First of all, live music has taken a huge back seat to the DJs and karaoke. Add on top if that Milwaukee still has a lot of old residuals and never progressed much beyond "Living On A Prayer" .

But that's just the way I see it.

Blue
  11. richntiff

richntiff

Yep -some 'Nu Metal' - Chevelle, Taproot, etc would be a great addition too! For sure Oasis, Toadies, etc. My problem is I'm in northern Wisconsin, pretty sure there won't be a market here for it :-( Madison, I bet would be a great area to base that kind of band out of.

And yes - Milwaukee is a city mired in, well, I don't know what...

Floyd - would you be able to share your setlist? I have a pretty good list of tunes already, but always curious to see if I've missed any :)
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

This is from a few weeks ago.

There are a bunch more in the master list, but this was a quick copy and paste.

SET 1

BOMBTRACK
    CHAMPAGNE
    MY OWN WORST ENEMY
    SWEATER SONG
    GOT ME WRONG
    CRACKERMAN
    I COME FROM THE WATER
    POSSUM KINGDOM
    YOUR DISEASE

SET 2

KILLING IN THE NAME
    FACE TO THE FLOOR
    MAN IN THE BOX
    TOMORROW
    COME OUT AND PLAY
    WHAT I GOT
    SANTA MONICA
    FAITH
    LOVE ME DEAD
    BULLET IN THE HEAD

SET 3

SOUND OF MADNESS
    THE CLINCHER
    CARESS ME DOWN
    I GOT A GIRL
    SEX TYPE THING
    FLAGPOLE SITTA
    WOULD
    PURE MASSACRE
    CLICK CLICK BOOM

SET 4

BULLS ON PARADE
    PLUSH
    GONE AWAY
    HEAVEN BESIDE YOU
    BOUND FOR THE FLOOR
    HEY MAN NICE SHOT
    BREAK STUFF
    THE RED
    WHATEVER
    SOBER
    FREEDOM
  13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'd love to see you guys play sometime based on that list alone haha.
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Memphis is only 4 hours away and I promise you have never seen a 3 piece kick some of these tunes out so convincingly. ;)
  15. Huge94

Huge94

I am in the process of entering a cover band playing old Silverchair (not the new stuff). It's right up your alley and it's great fun! You can PM me if you're interested in sharing ideas and stuff!

Our set list is the following for now:

Slave
    Israel's Son
    Abuse Me
    Leave Me Out
    Pure Massacre
    Miss You Love
    Tomorrow
    Anthem For The Year 2000
    Madman
    The Door
    Freak
    Faultline
    Suicidal Dream
    Ana's Song (Open Fire)
    Cemetery
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Israel's Son is on our master list as well. We have also done I'm a Freak and Abuse Me, though those 2 I think we have never played in a club, just house parties.
  17. richntiff

richntiff

Excellent stuff Floyd - love the Saliva in there too! Great setlist - a bunch of those are on my list as well. Huge94 - I have 'Tomorrow' on my list too.

Next challenge -finding other musicians in my neck of the woods that are interested in this, and not in playing country...

I have my list on my jumpdrive - if I can find it, I'll post it here as well.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

The Saliva is one of those things I am quite proud of considering we're a 3 piece. Between those 2 Saliva songs and the RATM, I gotta give my guitarist/singer mad props. He hits 'em outta the park.

Looking forward to seeing your list as well.
  19. bluewine

bluewine

If there is a market it's very small.

I live here and I don't know of any bands playing that time period genre that gigs anywhere near consistently.

Blue
  20. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Freakin KILLER list!!! Personally I'd ax Chevelle and add in more Shinedown! (sorry to any Chevelle fans but I saw them a couple of years ago and I thought they sucked live)
    But really, an awesome setlist.