1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

'94 Alembic Epic 4 - Curly Maple top - $1100

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by calmb4tehpwn, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calmb4tehpwn

calmb4tehpwn Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass, but she's definitely a player. I got 'er on a trade, and have treated her well, but she came to me pretty banged up. I'm going to be straight forward with all of the issues of this bass, and put it up at a reasonable price. I'm looking to sell this Epic quick, and I don't have much room to move on price. $1100 shipped SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Comes with a hybrid case, hard skeleton soft shell. It's a nice case and fits the bass well, but it's seen better days. Perfectly functional.

The worst of the damage, as can be seen in the pictures below, are on the body. It looks like someone's wrist has worn away a patch of the finish, and then sweat into the wood. It's not overly large, put my finger there for reference, and it's a spot that's covered up while playing, but it's there. Maybe you could sand down that spot and refinish, or sand down the whole body and refinish it all, but it's discolored, I don't know how easy it'd be to get it back up to perfect.

Second issue, is in the routing for the neck P/U. Same sort of issue as the wrist, somebody's thumb really worked around in there and wore out a spot. It's not too bad down here. Not noticeable sitting on a guitar stand unless you're looking for it. It was never an issue for me.

The hardware is worn down, which isn't a surprise for a 20 year old bass. I tried to include pictures as best as I could (sorry for the camera phone, I'm stationed in Korea and my wife's got the DSLR back in the states). The gold plating is wearing off the tuning machines, and bridge is oxidizing.

There's a number of nicks and dings in the headstock, as you can see. There's no huge ones, and none except what are pictured. Pretty standard for a 20 year old player as well.

There's one ding in the back of of the bass, pictured, and a good number of impressions from belt rash. I couldn't get any of them to show up in pictures, but in the interest of full disclosure. They're there. There is one bit of belt rash that walks the line of being a "scratch" and That one is pictured below.

Now! Lots of bad stuff, right? Not really. It's all minor stuff, except that wrist rash, and not a single bit of it has an effect on the sound or how it plays. She sounds great. Really outstanding. Everything we've come to expect out of Alembic. There are no dings in the neck. Smooth as silk. I couldn't feel a scratch or anything while playing, and all of the electronics are.. great. Action is nice and low, no buzz. I really could not give you a single gripe about how she plays or sounds.

So, as you can see, she's a bit dinged up, but she's still gorgeous. A real work of art, and I've been proud to display her on my wall between gigs.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm not sure I can get any better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot of the machine head wear
    [​IMG]

Dings in the headstock
    [​IMG]

Wear on the body
    [​IMG]

Neck pickup wear
    [​IMG]

Ding in the back
    [​IMG]

Scratches in the back (ding visible at the top of photo)
    [​IMG]

An attempt to show the buckle rash
    [​IMG]

She's still my baby, so be nice.

Most of these issues weren't disclosed to me, and I picked the bass up at $1250 trade value. I'm being upfront about the cosmetic issues, and I'm not trying to swindle anybody here. She's a strong player, and you wont regret picking her up if that's your reason for getting an Alembic. Please don't try to low ball me, here.
  2. ster

ster Supporting Member

Besides the curly maple top, what are the woods?
    Any bass with that much mojo has gotta mean it's a killer bass to play.
  3. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

4. calmb4tehpwn

Oh, she's certainly got mojo.

It's Mahogany body, with a 5 piece maple neck and ebony fretboard.

I've never heard such a clear, true sound out of a bass. I don't know how else to put it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. calmb4tehpwn

Here's a shot from the old sale thread, for a better color representation under good light. She really looks amazing in person. Lots of depth and character to the curly maple top.

Also, as you can see, the worn wrist spot isn't very noticeable in decent lighting, unless you're looking for it.

[​IMG]
  7. calmb4tehpwn

8. calmb4tehpwn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.