96 MiM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JCheung, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

I am looking at a potential local (as local as a hr+ drive can be) purchase from someone selling a 96 Fender Jazz MiM with Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders (sjb-3 and sjb2 at the neck and bridge respectively) and Badass 2 bridge. I think the seller has taken down the ad after I contacted him about the potential purchase so I can't link the actual ad.

He's asking for around $400 for the bass, is this reasonable? I don't know if 96 was a special year or there's something else I should be on the lookout for. I will definitely have a chance to try before I buy since this is a local sale. However just wanted to get your feedback.
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

anyway, if you assume $. 600.00 to be a fair price for a new MIM jazz bass, then $. 300.00 is a fair second hand price;
    if $. 100.00 is a fair price for a new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound neck SJB3, then $. 50.00 is a fair secondhand price;
    if $. 100.00 is a fair price for a new Seymour Duncan HotStack bridge SJB2, then $. 50.00 is a fair secondhand price.

300 + 50 + 50 = $. 400.00

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. JCheung

That was oddly logical and full of sense...thank you.

Is using a different type of Jazz pickup uncommon? In this case the sjb2 and 3?
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Let's assume everythin' to be ok and in perfect operatin' order otherwise, not bein' '96 any special year of sort, just beware.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Prior to 2002 (maybe 2001?), the Mexican Fenders were made of poplar. After that, they were upgraded to alder or ash, the classic Fender woods.
    Sorry to put that little detail in your head... if you play it and it sounds good to you, don't let the poplar bother you one bit.
  7. JCheung

OH NO! Kidding, should be fine, I'll probably meet the seller at a GC or something to "test amps" and check out the bass. Long as it sounds nice to my ears I don't care what it's made of. It's a solid black color too so no grain to worry about. I typically prefer precisions, but I love jazz basses too (max neck pickup with a tiny boost from the bridge pickup and full tone is awesome). I know there's a seller who posted an ad for a 2010-2011 P Bass with Bart pickups but that was a month ago and is unresponsive.
  8. JCheung

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

With the upgrades, as long as the neck is good and all, $400 is a good price. If you can get the price below $400 all the better. :) . I'd offer $360 and see what happens.
    You never know and as his ad does not list the price as a firm $400, it's usually negotiable a little bit - just my experience from CL and buying about 40 guitars and basses on there. (bet he may counter-offer for $375)
    Here in Detroit, going price for a used Jazz in good condition is about $350-400. With upgrades, $450 is what I would consider a decent price for one. $400 is a good buy, below that is a great buy.
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

"I don't know if 96 was a special year or there's something else I should be on the lookout for."

... he may not have opted to use them, but the SD pups come with logo'd covers ...

... also, the '96 would have used two shorter (probably Cort) matching (neck pup size) ceramic pickups, so if whoever modified it used conventional size pups, the bridge route would have had to be enlarged slightly .. so you may want to measure that the bridge pup is indeed longer ... the SD's are available in both short and longer (neck & bridge) configuration seperately, so your concern is that two neck pups were used (if routing not done) .. I have also had someone try to pull a fast one, where they put the neck pup in the bridge route, and the bridge pup in the neck route (since it fits there) ... generally this does not allow the strings to pass evenly over the poles, and the bridge pup is usually a bit hotter than the neck to account for being farther away ... and this reverses that (which may or may not matter to you) ...

.. other than that, just make sure that those fancy chrome knobs are not pressed onto the cheaper splined shafts (smaller pots) and are using a set screw onto solid shaft (full size) pots ...

.. and with all older MIM Standard J's, make sure the truss rod nut is not maxxed out, or that there is not excessive relief with no adjustment left ... not uncommon for the older thin neck MIM Standard J's ...

.. you have a set of Fender flats on there too .. nice!

... Edit to add: .. not sure if weight is a concern, but I have seen '90's MIM Standard J's all over the board, low-mid 8's, to well over 10# ... just an FYI .. ;)
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

those pickups look to be dual Seymour Duncan SJB2: hotstack.

Quarter Pound are larger in poles, and a bit lowered below pickup surface (while hotstacks are just like that: higher below A and D strings in particular) finally, pickup covers should be marked by "basslines" logo, which they're clearly not

Lastly those chrome knob really look like agathis body Squier Standard Jazz...

Right: at least the Leo Quann's BadAssII bridge is alone worth $. 100.00 secondhand, like the pair of pickups, if they're legit.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. JCheung

Yea I have to ask about the knobs since I do recognize them from squier basses. While I do prefer the chrome knobs over the typical jazz ones, it's worth asking about. I am pretty excited. I saw an ad for a precision as well in the same price range with similarly cool upgrades so we'll see.

Also have to figure out how to go about selling off my ray to pay for the Fender
  13. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

No wait! don't sell the stingray!

When I was 15-18 or so, I'd always had Fenders and wished I had this vintage 76 Stingray that was about 20 years old at the time. I couldn't afford it but I'd have traded my Fender bass in a minute for that bass. Now I appreciate both equally. But... I'll bet you'll miss the stingray down the road if you sell it.
  14. JCheung

It's just a SBMM Ray34 from 2012, not that special