9V Batteries

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bucephylus, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

My most recent batch of 9V batteries is measuring somewhat lower voltage than I am used to out of the box. Some are only 8.9+V. Seems EVERYTHING is getting cheaper these days, including the charge in the danged batteries. Sheesh.:rollno::meh:

So, I have 2 questions:

1) For alkalines, how or where can you source batteries anymore to be sure that the pack does not have a lower level of charge out of the box? Costco and Target seem to be no longer reliable.

2) Is anyone using Li based rechargeables yet? Seems like there are some issues with those that are available.

This never used to be much of an issue. Guess one can't take anything for granted.

2. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

I haven't had that experience (yet?). Were these name-brand alkalines in retail packaging? Did you buy them locally or online? I've never seen a new 9V alkaline measure less than 9.3 or so.

Reid

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I am switching to non-rechargable Li batteries. They cost 10x what Alkalines do but last 10x longer. For most bass things this is just great. Also they have like 10 year shelf life as well which means your bass can sit unused and unplayed for years and still work when you lick it up.

Since the cost per hour is about the same for Li and Alkalines, you don't lose anything by going Li...UNLESS you happen to leave whatever it is on by mistake. Sure 10x the life is long but it isn't forever! So the bottom line is that any mistakes cost you 10x as well. I have this metronome that I'm always leaving on and it eats the battery every time even if it's not making a noise! Using LI batteries would just give me 10x the cost every time I did that.

So Li are great but still $$ and at serious coin per battery with my herd of basses it's a LOT of money. So for basses I'm getting all the active ones switched over to Phantom power with a TRS cable. And save the Li batteries for other things like metronomes and tuners.

4. BassLife77

BassLife77

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bucephylus

Yes, I use Duracell and Energizer, since those have been roughly equivalent in the past. Yes, purchased locally. Agree. I have never seen such low values out of the pack before. That's the reason for the post. Raised the yellow flags.

7. tmdazed

tmdazed

you so realize you have a +- of 3% avg swing on a multimeter readout don't you, cheapies can swing as high as 10%, the .1 fits right in the range so i would not worry about it in the least.

8. bucephylus

This is a very high end Fluke. I have checked it against very high end HP and Keithley (maybe before your time) lab instruments. It is very accurate.

9. bucephylus

Hmmm. Just picked up some copper tops from Target. 9.69V

I guess the Energizer Bunny just bit the dust. Won't buy that product again.

10. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Yeah, tell me about it.
    I opened a "copper top" the other day
    0.0V out of the box.

What I usually do is go to amazon and get one of these deals http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-9-V...qid=1395010591&sr=8-4&keywords=9 volt battery

It's especially good when replace all the batteries in the house smoke alarms

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    A long time ago I tested Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, and Walgreen's store brand, all driving a constant load. They all had basically the same lifetime. If you get some with a low voltage starting out, then they're just bad batteries. I posted the results here at TB, and will see if I can dig them up.

12. bucephylus

That's what I thought.

Still, pretty irritating to spend the money on one of those multi-packs, get home, and find they all test low. Problem is, not low enough to claim they are defective.

13. REV

REV Supporting Member

A friend of mine once worked for Duracell. He said they made batteries for Walmart and Radio Shack. He said the batteries were exactly the same, the only difference was the case.

14. BassLife77

BassLife77

I saw a news segment about that in the 90's. They said all the major brands do that off brand labeling. But nowadays its hard to tell because so many companies in china make junk batteries