A at 12th buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mldavis, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mldavis

mldavis

Hi guys

I've recently set my jazz bass up and it's playing fantastic, apart from the fact that a fretted A note on the 12th fret of the A a string is buzzing.

Any ideas why this is?

The action isn't too low and the neck relief is perfect, so I can't work it why just this note is buzzing when played. Could it maybe be that one of the frets it's high? It buzzes slightly when playing the 11th and 13th fret on the A, but it's not too noticable.

It's got a 7.25 radius neck by the way.

Thanks
    Martin
  2. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Most likely a high fret. Get a level on the fretboard and see if any frets are high.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Usually, if it buzzes at the 12th fret, then the 13th fret is a little high.
  4. mldavis

mldavis

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah after doing some testing, think it is the 13th that is causing the problem.

Wha is the best way to sort this?

Thanks
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

It's not the 13th that is causing the buzzing if it also buzzes a little on the 11th and 13th. With that scenario, the 14th would be the first place I'd look. As above, you need a straightedge to identify exactly where the high one is. And, yes, it is certainly possible for it to only be high (or problematically high) on that one string.

As far as solutions, they are many. The "correct" solution is to file down the high fret (requiring re-dressing the fret). This is best done by a pro unless you really want to invest in all the tools to do it right. If you do, there are lots of instructional videos that show you how. Otherwise, you can try raising the action just a little and/or add just a touch more relief with the truss rod. You may find that you can eliminate the problem with a small enough adjustment that you don't find it worth going to the trouble of the "correct" solution.

Oh, by the way, if you've just done a truss rod adjustment, give it a couple days to settle down before you worry about doing anything.