1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A/B Switches for Doubling

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Black Sheep, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

I need to get a switch for a doubling gig next week.
    I am looking at the Boss LS-2, Boss AB-2, and Behringer AB100.
    Any negatives to any one of these? (I know the AB-2 does not have levels, but other than convenience I don't think I'll need them.)
    Any suggestions for something else that is simple and effective?
  2. tastychoice

tastychoice

Radial bassbone has always performed well for me. It does more than I need. I don't use the loop or channel one tone shaping but my eub sounds awesome with the channel 2 eq. The d.i. is good and the tuner out is handy. I'm able to get both the eub and p bass to play nice with all my other pedals except for one of my fuzzes. I consider this pedal essential. Not cheap though. Full disclosure, I've never used any of the units you've listed. I bought the bassbone early in my upright experience and have no complaints. It was great in the studio as well. Good luck to you.
  3. Barcza

Barcza

Radial Bassbone is outstanding, input impedance is 500kOhms, so is fine for both passive and active el bass, but too low for passive piezzo transducer db pickup. So, you need a buffer before the double bass input.
    I think the most flexible way for doubling, is use a simple switcher like Morley ABY, and use one stombox preamp for each instrument before the switcher. For example a Sadowsky pre for EB and Fishman B II for db, and you have two seperate EQ, and DI output for each instrument, the soundmen will be happy.
  4. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

I was very happy with the ls2. Does a lot and does it well and simply.
    Mike
  5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

I've recently been back to using one lead with a mute switch on the jack and find that a lot easier. I always found it a bit of a stress getting the leads tangled. Now I can unplug without touching the amp and keep the jack in one hand whilst I pick up the new bass. The LS2 is a great option if that doesn't work for you, but I like the minimum amount of leads and once you are used to using the circuit breaker lead it's pretty effective.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProduc...d=28&sid=2a0e8071-ce78-44a8-8007-502ea718037b
  6. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

There is also a Neutrik silent plug that shorts the signal to ground if not completely plugged in. There are complete cables you can buy, but I made my own cable by ordering a silent plug, a normal Neutrik plug and a Sommer "the spirit" XXL cable (a bit stiff but good).

They don't recommend the silent plug at the amp end of the cable and not for active instruments (if they don't have a resistor in series with the output inside the instrument) because of the complete short when not plugged in.
  7. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Local shop has an LS-2. I think that will work. Probably could use something even simpler, but that is all that's available locally. I could go with cord switching, as I have in the past, but some of this doubling is going to be DI work only, so ampless and more difficult to swap cords. If I can get two channels from the soundman I will, but I need to have a few tricks ready to go for different situations.
  8. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

So I picked up the LS-2 last night, but have not had time to hook up and try it out yet, now I'll be rushing off to rehearsal after work... I did look at the instructions and it says for two instruments and one amp to plug one instrument into A, one to B, and output to amp, PLUS it says to plug in to input, to enable the pedal to work, but it does not say what to plug in there!?!? With no more tips on the sheet, what am I missing?

>> on edit - with a little search, I see that some applications require a dummy plug in the input jack. I guess this is what is needed here. I probably have a spare plug somewhere.