1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A bit of Logic recording / editing advice please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MothBox, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MothBox

MothBox

I'm looking at starting to record some tracks down in Logic. There will be 2 acoustic guitars laid on top and our stuff is relatively mellow to acoustic rock style.

I'm going to use a DI from my practice amp into a mixer. I was thinking of micing the amp up and panning DI left and mic right but the mic has 2x 5-pin stereo leads which convert to XLR cables and use up both plugs on the mixer so I'll likely just stick to DI.

What I'm really wondering about is getting a good recorded sound out of this foremost. In playing around I found every so often I'd accidentally clip a fret and would get a volume spike which was incredibly audible on the recording but overall I was relatively happy with the DI recording.

I'm wary of applying effects and modules but this is because I feel that it gives a fake feel to the track and creates a sound I didn't produce. So, are there any modules/simulations etc people would recommend?

Any pre-sets in particular or EQ tweaks that people commonly apply to recorded bass tracks or anything settings that are worth playing with once the track is recorded?

The whole band is new to home recording so its a bit of a learning curve at the moment.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

I'd avoid the stereo panning. More often than not you'll want your bass to be mono. I go as far as to use a stereo widening plugin set to negative values to get it as tight through the stereo picture as possible without destroying the signal.

Additionally, if you're just starting out, I'd suggest using just one track (mic, or DI) and getting a good sound from that alone. Once you're comfortable with that, you can move up to multi tracking, which comes with its own set of advantages, and problems that you'll need to consider (carving each signal out to take advantage of its strengths, and leaving out its weaknesses, phase issues, etc.).
  3. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

Logic is an incredibly deep and complex DAW for a raw beginner. Which version are you using? Regardless, I'd recommend using Garage Band in the beginning, just to get more comfortable with the process first. Your GB files will be available in Logic as well to work with later. As to your specific question, definitely just one track of bass for now and you want it in mono. I'd pan one acoustic 60-75% left of center and one about 60-75% right of center. I'd also copy each guitar track and paste it into a second doubled track with a very slight delay applied to the second track. Do you have percussion or drums?
  4. MothBox

MothBox

We're using Logic Pro X. Unfortunately not on my computer so I can't spend hours messing around with it as I would normally do to learn a program.

We've been using garageband for a while but its mainly as a quick way to record our sessions for solo practices and to see where we're making mistakes etc. The idea behind starting things up in Logic is to give us more editing control.

No percussion at the moment. We have access to an electronic kit and there is talk of laying some gentle backing beats to the songs once its been finalised but at the moment we're without a drummer.