1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A cab without a horn.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by milkman-27, Oct 18, 2013.

1. milkman-27

milkman-27

How much difference does a horn on a 410 cab make? I have a peavey Headliner 410 and was thinking about adding another 410. The Healiners are just 4 10" speakers and nothing else. Wondering if I should try a different 410 cab other than the Headliner,although it is cheap enough.

2. Jheake

Jheake

I have had good and bad experience with horns. Sometimes they add a nice clarity to the cab, letting all the little nuances ring out a bit. Other times they have sounded brittle and harsh. I have also noted that using distortion through horns most of the time sounds pretty undesireable.

Some guys prefer cabs with out a horn. Also the covetted and often immitated Ampeg 810e doesnt have a horn. I think its been one of the most popular cabs of all time.
    Just some food for thought.

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

Well do you like the tone youre getting now? if so just get an identical cab.

4. milkman-27

milkman-27

Actually I do, very much. I just have seen so many 410's with horns in them that I thought that maybe I was missing out on something. I have a Fender Rumble 350 in my bands rehearsal space that you can turn the horn on and off and I really cannot see a difference, at least not a major one, in the sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I am assuming you are talking adding a 'tweeter' here, correct? a 'horn' on a bass cab is usually a tweeter which reproduces the high frequencies (3kHz and up range, or so).

... just clarifying, since usually all tweeters are 'horns', but not all horns are 'tweeters' :)

... I generally do not care for tweeters on my bass cabs ... JMHO

7. schecter5string

schecter5string

I dont use mine, i dont really like them. Im pretty aggressive with my playing and twweters let the clank come through.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    :eyebrow: :rollno: :meh: :confused:

9. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I run a 4-10 without one. And I also run two 1-15 cabs that have them, but I turn them off. I don't miss them at all.

Also, it almost always works best to run identical cabs if you are going to run two cabs. Different cabs respond differently. There is a lot of physics involved. It might not hurt to read the "sticky" thread here in Amps.

10. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

If you were pumping in some snappy, trebly highs and wanted to make sure they got projected out, then yeah a tweeter might be a useful thing (think Marcus Miller slap tone). If you use distortion or fuzz, you might like the cab better without the horn. Some people dig it with a picked tone, but like someone already said, one of the most famous cabs of all time (ampeg 8x10) has NO tweeter/horn at all and you can get a nice bright tone from it too. If you like your Peavey, just get another one and rock on!! :bassist:

11. StephenR

StephenR

I generally turn off the tweeter...

12. chadds

chadds

The 8x10's popularity is because of its sound. That sound is not favored in every form of electric music nor is the 8x10 used by even a majority of bassists. Hence the proliferation of other cabs including the 4x10 with horn.

To the OP, the quality of horns & crossovers differs between manufacturers. Some sound smooth while as stated above some sound quite harsh. There is a cab, the SWR Goliath that in it's versions 1-3 could sound overly bright. Dialing the tweeter to barely on and the cab was warm and full range.

Some cabs don't sound like a hornless cab with the horn off. The crossover seems to be pulling highs or the cab design or woofer choice doesn't promote the necessary highs.

That barely on setting can give definition to notes even in a flatwound setting.
    Some manufacturers use a cone tweeter for highs that can provide a more natural extension of the highs that's not metallic. (Not to be confused with "good for metal".) ;)

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

ok, I stand corrected ... by all the snake eyes

...there are many different types of tweeters ... however, any of the above tweeters coupled to a flared (horn) structure are usually what we find in bass cabinet applications, which is what we are referrencing here ... better? :)

BTW, you forgot to bold the usually in your quote ...

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I had an Eden 4x10 cab that sounded great, AFTER I disabled the tweeter. My experience with that was brittle and harsh as someone said. 10's can already get pretty high in the mid-range and sound snappy enough to me without one.

16. milkman-27

milkman-27

So, what about a horn without a cab?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    That'll be great...if you play piccolo ;)

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the frequency response of the horn. Horns don't have to be mounted in a cab. Or the cab can BE the horn as in BFM's plans.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    I didn't forget. :D

Outside of the musical instrument/sound reinforcement industries, tweeters are rarely horn coupled, actually. Your statement was, perhaps, a bit too general in it's reference to tweeter designs. ;)

I have used cabinets with tweeters/horns in them over the decades, but never felt a need for one in the tone I like. Mostly they just reproduce amplifier hiss and string noise (plus a bit of clack to the tone) given where their crossover points are usually. See, i did bold it. :D

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The "horn" is a tweeter....made to play high frequencies....higher than the woofers can play on their own. Whether or not you like that or not is a matter of taste.

There is a high frequency driver mounted on the back of that horn, and a filter to block the low frequencies from it that the woofers are playing....so it just plays the high stuff it's made to do and adds that to the response of the woofers.

If you sent it the full signal, with the lows frequencies in it the woofers are supposed to play...it would probably explode....or if it didn't explode, it would just fall silent because it blew out.

I had to explain this recently to my neighbor who told me he had a speaker with 2 woofers and a "bass horn". It was a pf210 cab....a pair of 10" getting the full monty with a highpassed tweeter grafted on top.