A call for STANDARDIZATION

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    An open letter to pedal manufacturers...

You've already agreed that 1/4" jacks are the way to go. Now, can you all agree on a common layout for the following:

1) Input/Output Jack placement - so that patch cables can be connected easier and more efficiently

2) Height of the Jack From the Bottom of the Pedal - so that you can easily utilize dual male connector plugs and have everything be at the same level.

3) Power plug location - so that it's in a CONVENIENT place and not getting in the way of patch cables located right next to the adapter.

I can't tell you how much time I have wasted trying to work around patch and power connection designs on my effects board that are either inconvenient or just plain dumb. Come on guys, you can figure this one out!

Lonnybass

2. erigod23

erigod23

Yeah, but one man's genius might be another man's dumb.

3. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

I agree ... My frustration has reached volcanic levels at times. On the other hand, I could see companies like MXR thinking "just use all MXR pedals, problem solved." Although the location of the adaptor plug on MXR pedals is a definite curiosity ... I can't figure out any advantage to having it on the side.

4. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I like having a bunch of different options for jacks. Sometimes the biggest factor when choosing a pedal is size. Look at my board for instance, I wouldn't be able to fit them all on with all top jacks.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed. Honestly, as many small manufacturers as there are in the effects field its amazing there's as much standardization as there is. The voltage pump only came out a few years ago, and since then a number of pedals that otherwise wouldn't have are now conforming to the 9 volt standard.

There's been long debates about side jacks versus top jacks with no clear winner. How is somebody supposed to come up with a standard when no two people want the same thing?

7. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Way too late for any kind of standardization. We're probably lucky that they all use 1/4" jacks and (mostly) 9V boss power jacks regardless of location.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    You kids could spare the frustration if you would spend more time working on your techniques instead of playing with these damn pedals.

9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I actually can't totally disagree with this statement. ;)

10. hsech

hsech I may be old, but that doesn't mean I can't play Gold Supporting Member

I must be old school....... what pedals?

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Jeez, what brought out the antipedal crew?

If a few boutique guys settled on a standard the rest could follow along. Bear with me.....

Ideally far side in and out would be great but since most pedals have their inputs and outputs on the side it would be fruitless to challenge that.

Every pedal goes right to left with the signal chain, one box checked....

Boss pedals have the power on the back side, adopt, solved...

The major conflict is the lack of an offset to the in and out. It could be a standard top left bottom right or vice versa and all would be well for everyone. Not much of an ask really.

But the boutique guys that figured out rear side rules would be out of step. Sad but they would catch up in a flash if the mass production guys had an actual standard nearly as useful.

12. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    And that's where Boss really sucked things up. Whatever side has a jack is going to need space for what plugs into the jack. So it's pretty obvious limiting all the jacks to one side saves space. Even the drummer to Nickelback could figure that one out. Having the input, output, and power jacks all on different sides wastes space on three sides instead of just one.

So the universal answer should be that all jacks go on the same side. Which leads to top jacks.....since it would be just odd to have all three (or more) holes on just the right or left.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!! Most people keep their boards at the front of the stage and amps in the back. Which means that top mounted jacks are stupid in that our instrument cables lose length by having to go past the pedals and then double back.......ergo.....BOTTOM MOUNTED JACKS!!!!!!

It's clearly the civilized answer but no one does it. Barbarians.

13. fasto

fasto

not true, box unchecked: my Sovtek Big Muffs (black & green) go from left (input) to right (output).

another example? My Yahama NE-1 ... input on the lower left, output on the upper right. ***?!

14. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    I feel your pain my friend!
    I think is unlikely to achieve any further standardization, mainly due to the fact that when designing we engineers have to consider so many variables and factors!
    The size of the circuit, amount of controls for example!
    When designing my pedals I could have had all jacks on the top side but at the price of having to use bigger chassis. I believe that low footprint and portability are more important, but others might (actually some always) disagree.

On a positive note, I think sometimes the lack of rules and standardization make more innovation possible... it lets the creators play and push the envelope a bit further every time.

Just my 2 cents ;).
    Regards, Doug.

15. PENLIYL

PENLIYL Supporting Member

I like chaos on my board. Everything the same all lined up would be boring for me.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360511820.740590.jpg

16. St Drogo

St Drogo

Music has never been about efficiency. Good thing too.

17. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

I don't know why, but I find this thread really funny.

Maybe it's because I'm not to into effects :D

18. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

All I would ask for is for power inputs to all be top mounted.

19. Skrogh

Skrogh

Oh but I'll bet there is a similar thread about jack placement in basses; facing the audience, or pointing at the floor.

That aside, main reason there is no jack placement standard is probably that people disagree on where they are best to have.

20. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    You are one sharp cookie MSU, but in this instance no cigar. Bottom mounted jacks would get trampled by people with clumsy feet (like me) when trying to engage or disengage the pedals. Fitting the jacks into the pedal housing where the footswitch is would also present design problems, possibly leading to bigger pedals and pedals with the foot switches up in the mid-body area of the pedal.

I don't see bottom-mounted jacks as an idea waiting to explode.

21. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Methinks you may have missed his sarcasm.