A case for every bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillinAnchorage, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BillinAnchorage

BillinAnchorage

Just curious ... Do you have a case for every bass you own? Do you buy the manufacturers case or something else?

I have .....

Schecter CV4 Vintage with a Schecter case
    Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric with Ovation case
    ESP LTD B-205SM Fretless ... no case
    ESP LTD J-205 3TB ... no case

1 Gator Case for either ESP
    oh and a Ministar in a crappy bag to take on vacation lol

I suppose I only need a case for every bass if I were to take them all with me somewhere ... just thinking out loud here
  2. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Every Bass has its' own hard case and dedicated strap with Dunlop Dual locks

It's the least I can do for my gear. And never say a negative word around them either.

=-O
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Hate cases. Have two gig bags
  4. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

OK then .... This:

Hate bags, love all 18 hard cases with a bass inside every one of them.

I think it's the only way to store them if they are out of the current playing rotation.

Cases stack so well ---- bags just flop around, slip, slide and fall over all the time
  5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

My basses stay in their hard cases except when I'm transporting (a Fender rectangular case will not fit in my Mustang). I have always used hard cases for the 37+/- instruments I've had over 40+ years.

For gig bags I have a Fender brand for my Precisions and a Mono M80 for my SR5.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Yup for every one. If I buy a used bass that didn't come with one, I usually buy a factory one for it.
    I hate gig bags and their limited protection. Plus the band always rides together to every gig (so no one bones-out of working or leaving early) and all of our gear gets jam-packed in the back of a truck.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

All my basses came with hard cases except two, so I have cases for all but two. Dingwall supplies a (really nice) gig bag and I have a Fender gig bag for my Fender Standard P.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I have an 07 Mustang Convertible, and I can fit two tolex cases in the trunk.
    When I went car shopping I carried my biggest tolex case from dealership to dealership to make sure I could use the trunk.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

All of mine came with a case
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

All but one of mine came with cases, and the other is an MIM Jazz that lives in a nice two-bass gig bag for backup duty.
  11. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I have a few manufacturer hard cases for some of my basses, but they sit empty in the closet. All my basses get played regularly, so I have them in quality gig bags: A Mono Dual, a Mono Vertigo or a ProTec Contego.
  12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Mostly hard cases, a couple of polyfoam cases, and a bag which isn't for storing basses but I use when I want to carry a bass around with me. I have an anvil type case that I haven't needed (I got it with a bass) and is used on it's end as a doorside table.
  13. gpx1200

gpx1200

I don't like gig bags for the one and only reason that they make my bass blend right in to the pile of sweatshirts and jackets on the bandroom couch making it more likely to be sat on than if it wer just siting out in the open.
    I figure if its not being protected by a case it should at least be identafileable as an instrument.
  14. lixisoft

lixisoft

Case, Polyfoam or Gig Bag for every bass. Local gigs (bass never leaves my sight or control), I use a Mono Gig bag or dual Mono Gig bag to carry my basses. Road work or fly gigs, bass in a Gig Bag inside an ATA approved SKB or Anvil case. Always make sure my instrument insurance is paid and enough to cover the axe. My '62, '64, and '68 P Bass don't travel any more, they are irreplaceable.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I make sure that I have a hard case that will hold any bass I take out of the house. Most of my basses have their own hard case, but I may have multiple basses that fit a particular case.

I only take two basses out at a time for gigs (primary and backup) so it works.

I don't like to use gig bags except to carry a bass to practice. For gigs, no gig bags. Too much risk.
  16. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Every bass (and guitar) has a dedicated hard case. I also have a quality gig bag and double-gig bag for situations where I know I won't have a hand free to carry a case and need to strap instruments to my back.

Worthwhile investments.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I have at least a gig bag for every bass- also have a cedar wardrobe cabinet that fits 12 of the basses. Keeps them safe and cedar fresh in a climate controlled environment, away from termites. lol
  18. bassbenj

bassbenj

.I have hard cases for about half my basses. Especially the better ones. The rest have gig bags. Some are manufacturers cases the basses came in (G&L, ALembic, Carvin) Some are the ones I had the basses shipped in for protection when I bought them (the cases from Rondo music for my SX...I always order a case for them) And the others were a sale at Sam Ash years ago on Guitar Research bass cases that were the plasic kind with aluminum trim. They were $25 each and I bought all they had! But evenually they ran out and I switched to gig bags.

In my Hard Cases I always have for EACH bass: A cable, a strap with straplocks (all basses have been switched to Dunlops), a tool kit for ALL the screws etc on THAT bass, and there is a spare set of strings of the type i use on THAT bass. Is that paranoid or what? Some cases have a small folding guitar stand for emergenies and the basses I use a lot have their folding stands inside the case in a place I hollowed out to take it. The idea is you grab a case and you have the bass and all you need...except they don't all have bass tuners in the case. Too many batteries etc. But again the ones that I use a lot also have a tuner in the case usually Korg (totally great cheap tuner) or a Snark (also great).

All the gig bags also have tool kits and spare strings for the bass, but usually don't have cords, tuners, or straps which I move around. Typically basses in gig bags tend to be the cheaper secondary or back up basses.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have either a Sadowsky Portabag or ProTec Contego for each of my "really good" basses.

My old Fenders travel in G&L bass bags, which are the best "regular gig bag," IMO.
    I do still have the OHSC's for these, never use them.

20. kcole4001

kcole4001

For 6 basses I have:
    4 cases
    2 bags
    I prefer cases, but the bags will do.

I used to have a designated strap for each bass and a spare for guitars, but now I'm going with 2 straps for basses, and 1 for guitars plus a spare strap in my utility gig bag.

All basses have straplocks and the 2 straps are appropriately equipped.
    Spare strings and one cord go in my main player's case, while more spare strings and all other cords go either in the utility gig bag or briefcase along with tools, fuses, and all other sundry spares and gear.
    Ya gotta be prepared!