1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A compressor and a limiter at the same time : good ? bad ? "original" ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

‘Afternoon.

As mentioned in another thread, I’ve (quite sadly) put my MilkBox compressor on sale. Since it ain’t sold yet and I love it so much, I put it back on the board just for fun, so for now, I have a chain that goes as follow:

BASS > TU2 > Micro Q-Tron > BSW > LMB-3 > MilkBox > BassDriver > MXR Stereo Chorus > PBDDI > AMP. (I have a GR MKI on the way).

I’m pretty sure I had tried the LMB-3 and MilkBox ON at the same time in the past, but maybe they were in a different order or with different settings, but this afternoon… WOW.

I have the LMB-3 on a slightly modified manual-suggested slap setting (level @ unity, enhance @minimum, ratio @ noon and threshold @ 9) and the MilkBox on a very mild compression setting (Level @ unity, compression @ 9, hi exp and attack are @ minimum, all numbers are “o’clock”). This way, I benefit from the MilkBox’s tone-shaping qualities, for lack of a better way to describe what it does, while having something to protect my gear against my less-than-average technique.

Since I don’t recall ever seeing something like this on a board or reading about it on Bongo’s Ovnilab site and apart from having a bit of a compressed signal when both are ON (when slapping, mostly):

- Am I committing some kind of sin ?
    - Am I putting my gear in front of an unforeseen danger ?
    - Or is it simply excentricity on my part ?

I can tell you it sounds great in the headphones. Any input would be helpful.

Thx.

:)
  2. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

I know there are people around here who run two comps. I've never seen them stacked in the middle of a chain like your's, though. Usually one is set up as a limiter and the other more of a low-ratio, mild compression. Some people love it.

The fact of the matter is, there are a bunch of compression stages in all your gear. The LMB and MilkBox aren't the only sources of compression, especially if you ever use a PA or mixing board. You aren't hurting a thing!

By saying "WOW", I think you've answered your own question. Unless you need the funds, run both of them like you are, and say "WOW" every time you play!

:)
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I didn't give placement a decent thought, but good idea. I'll move the MB just before PBDDI, just to see how the chain reacts. I sorta like the LMB-3 where it is, right after the filters.

Yup, that's the way I got'em (at least dat's whot I tink).

thx :)
  4. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I've been using the LMB-3 a while, love it. My milkbox just arrived today per USPS.COM.
    I plan on using the milkbox 1st in the chain and lmb-3 2nd to last in my chain just in front of my 7band eq.
    but I may try them both in the middle for giggles since it worked well for you.
  5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Daring Audio's Phat Beam has an independent compressor and limiter, and they're both excellent and more versatile than the Milkbox or LMB-3 (i haven't tried the MilkBox but i know that the Phat Beam has more advanced controls.) My first compressor/limiter was the LMB-3 and i like the Phat Beam much, much better.
  6. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have no opinion except to say if you already have remorse over selling the pedal perhaps you should keep it.
  7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

And I'll try'em the way you planned first, just to see how that works out. :)
  8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I just checked it out... impressive indeed ! I see what you're driving at. But for me, if it wouldn't be for the MBox's flavor, I wouldn't even have considered using a comp/limiter combination.
  9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Exactly. If I can find a safe set-up that allows me to keep the MilkBox, this pedal ain't going nowhere.
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're right, I don't have a particular article about running two comps in series. I mention it a couple places, but not obvious places.

Adding it to my "to write" list now. :)

In the meantime, it's fine, enjoy doing it that way. The potential downsides are too much compression and/or too much noise. Either one of those is determined by your own ears and tastes--if it sounds good to you, rock on.
  11. Inconnu

Inconnu

Mike, the question is, is it good? You like your sound?, then go!
    But "nos glorieux" aren't all that "glorieux" these days so I'd lose the Canadiens logo if I were you ;)
  12. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Oops.... I might've missed it. Sorry :)
  14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Man it sounds like a million bucks to my ears. As for the logo, well...chu un hopeless romantic !
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

16. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn

I run an Alesis NanoComp in my FX loop on my amp as a limiter, and I use the Tube Comp setting on my M5 at times as more of an effect.