1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A-Designs REDDI Tube Direct Box

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The MegaThread for this DI box has had me thinking about one of these just for myself for quite some time now... my GAS finally got so bad, I decided to bite the bullet and buy some of these to become a dealer.

These are on the way! I've never heard one, so I can't personally attest to their goodness... but some very fine ears here on TB highly recommend it, and that was good enough for me. Rumor has it that it slays my beloved F1X for direct recording, so I'm pretty darn stoked!

<cough>Joe</cough> <cough>Jerry</cough> <cough>Ken</cough> <cough>Brian</cough> <cough>Todd</cough> <cough>EVERYONE</cough>

Oh, and just for a little perspective - this thing is bigger and weighs more than a Shuttle. There's some iron in this puppy! And ya'll know my personal philosophy - sometimes heavy just sounds better!

A-Designs REDDI Tube Direct Box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Dude - I can go post-eq with the Streamliner and get 3 tubes :D

3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, Greg. FWIW, I recently lucked into the purchase of a GrooveTubes DITTO....which will see use on a session this weekend. Between that and the trusty Radial JDI (and a Sadowsky, which I rarely rarely rarely use) I think I'm set, but...I've said that before. :D

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    My previous studio rig was Summit TD-100 into a TLA-50. I loved that - simple and warm. I am not doing any studio stuff as of late so I haven't really looked into getting a suitable setup. I'm actually somewhat serious about taking the DI out of the S900. If it sounds anything like the headphone output I'll be a happy camper. These standalone boxes will always win wrt noise though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lx_night

lx_night Supporting Member

waiting for your review.....:)

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO the massive transformer in the REDDI is a huge part of its tone; that's one of the differences between it and other tube preamp stages out there. IOW as great as the Genz and Summit preamps are, they'll inherently be a different flavor, not having that transformer. Also it's a different type of tube, though how much that matters, I couldn't say.

8. martyman5000

martyman5000

After reading through this thread I found this youtube vid and found the sound to be so subtle...

9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Very cool! Thanks for the link!

Yeah, I definitely like what it seems to be doing to the recorded tone...

10. VroomVroom

What a great review - thanks for that link. FWIW, this thing really, really seems similar to the DITTO.

[​IMG]

11. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    But it's not red, Jerry. All the tone is in the color. Your red Roscoe? Need I say more?

:D:D:D

12. VroomVroom

Excellent point, Greg. :D Seems like the REDDI is the only of its kind still on the market, too. I'm definitely anxious to hear your thoughts on this one. I know I keep relating back to the DITTO, but man...I was TOTALLY knocked out by that box. I still remember going into the control room for a listen, and just smiling like Cartman with a handful of cheesie poofs.

13. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The DITTO seems to be about half the size of the REDDI... hmmm... what's it weigh, Jerry?

14. VroomVroom

Good question. Finding anything specific on this thing requires a password to the wikileaks website. :ninja: Took me to page three of a google search to find this:

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1605_Ditto manual file Rev 2.pdf

I believe the DITTO is the predecessor to the BRICK, and apparently it was only offered from 2003 to 2005...but even confirming that isn't easy. Now, to actually answer your question... I'd ballpark it at seven or eight pounds, but that's just a guess.

15. oren

oren

I just picked up a used Avalon U5, which I mostly got because last time I was in a studio with my upright the engineer put one on my Underwood pickup and it sounded fab! But it also sounds good on my 68 Jazz - haven't tried it with the Roscoe yet. The tone presets are very well thought out for bass and seem really useful. No tubes, but a real warm fat sound anyway.

16. VroomVroom

The U5 is amazing. I find myself keeping ear-to-ground for a used one, but honestly I'm not sure I could justify it for how rarely it'd be used. IMO the U5 does a remarkable job of presenting the bass as-is...without really coloring the sound. Along those lines, I'd say my Radial JDI does the same thing...maybe not with as much clarity and precision, but at the price point it's a bargain.

Boxes like the REDDI and DITTO are a different animal. I used my Roscoe myrtle sixer the first time I used the DITTO, and was blown away. I likened it to hearing the bass through a DB750, or perhaps an old SVT, with the volume cranked. Undeniably Roscoe, but really fat, warm, and full. All without the headaches of setting up and mic-ing such a rig. Instead, you can get that sound while sitting right beside the engineer in the control room. Amazing.

Personally, I'd have to do a lot more session work to justify a REDDI, but man...what an awesome tool to have in the box. IME though, I usually end up going through whatever the engineer has and likes to use...even if I bring (and offer) a few DI's to the session. And obviously, none of this speaks to live settings, where I understand boxes like this are also popular.

Again...Greg, I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, both in general and how it compares to your Alembic.

17. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks for the info, Jerry! I didn't think I could get more excited, but I just did. Your description of the REDDI has me all hot and bothered now. :hyper:

18. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The REDDI's are here!!

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Danny's on vacation all week, so it'll probably take me longer than usual to get a recording done... but I'll get something done by the end of the week!

19. VroomVroom

Subscribed.

Well...not really, but it's not like I go a day without checking in. :D

20. David A. Davis

David A. Davis

+1:D

21. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

+2 :D

On a (semi) serious note (hey, how many times do actually post a serious question here?), can I use a Streamliner from bass into laptop to get a decent recording on Garageband, anyone?

.....now back to my lunch break at home as I anxiously wait for UPS.:help: