A-Designs REDDI vs. Summit TD-100....or?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Ok, so hear's the deal. My Fender TPB-1 sounds TERRIBLE in the studio (D.I.) to me. It's pretty sterile, boxy, and bottomless sounding. No amount of it's EQ section helped (not a fan of the tone stack :mad: ). Live, the thing sounds great and is a good D.I. to the FOH. I'm playing it into an IP112 (soon to be IP/EX stack). So I'm thinking the best route is to get a real D.I. to use in the studio. After listening to basstasters, the REDDI is my favorite sound (besides the STT-1, but i can't justify getting that bad boy.). The TD-100 seems a tad bright sounding, but it's also not the same bass being use in the clip (34" scale Sadowsky Vs. 35" scale Valenti).

I'm going for that thick, fat, weighty (tubey?) tone that i have live. I know i can only get so close to this without micing the cab, but that's just not an option with the type of people I'm working with.

So, Should I go with the REDDI, or the TD-100?

Think along with me then give me your opinion:

REDDI:

Pros:
    1) kick@$$ tone
    2)simple

Cons:
    1)price
    2)Yet another piece of gear to carry and plug in
    3)Can't be racked
    4)needs a y cable or something to be used in conjunction with my amp set-up.

TD-100

Pros:
    1)price
    2)can replace the TPB-1 completely
    3)no special cabling needed
    4)TLA-50 compressor can easily be added into rack next to it.
    5)impedance control to shape tone slightly

Cons:
    1)not sure of tone
    2)needs 60 buck attachment to be racked

Have i missed anything? Opinions wanted big time!:hyper:
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Albums:
    Funny, i was just looking at both of these today and comparing tones on Basstasters and the like. Personally, i think the REDDI sounds better, plus the new ones have the thru jack so you won't need that Y adapter (i don't think). The REDDI seems like that Thick Tubey type tone you're going for. The Summit seems more like a Demeter Hi-Fi Tube Tone.

Good luck.

PS. I'm looking into the Ridge Farm Industries Gas Cooker too. But it's pretty pricey too.

http://www.ridgefarmstudio.com/rfinew/cprod.htm
  3. Fretless5verfan

Yea TaySte2000 turned me on to the gas cooker as well. The tone that Paul Turner gets on those Aol video recordings with Jamiroquai with that thing is SICK. Really makes me consider it...but man, that price!! The cheapest i've seen is 1350...paul also uses nordstrand pick-ups, which i also use (singles in my J, DCs in my upcoming 6)...so it makes think that combo will result in the tone i'm shooting for. :help:

I forgot about that through jack. Now i see i can use that weird .25"/XLR input, the thru into the Berg, and the XLR out to the board. Very interesting...:ninja:
  4. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    Turner's tone is exactly the reason I'm looking into one. Yeah the new REDDI's with the Thru jack are MONEY. I'm so glad they added that option. Whichever one you pick let me know, I'll be interested to hear how you like it. Good luck.
  5. Fretless5verfan

Anyone else? Maybe i should copy this into the amp forum! lol. :p
  6. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Design: EA Amps
    You might want to give this a couple months - right now I'm working on a Tube DI Shootout that includes both boxes you're interested in and many more. I'll be putting all the clips on basstasters and the complete writeup will appear in Bass Guitar Magazine as well. Pretty much everything will be represented... I can't tell you how cool it is to come home and see 16 of the world's greatest tube DI's sitting in your music room. :D :D
  7. Fretless5verfan

:eek: :hyper:

I only have one session between now and the summer planned, so I'll wait and see how this beastly shootout happens.

Would the gas cooker happen to be included in this list of 16? Boy oh boy if is...:eek: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  8. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Design: EA Amps
    Unfortunately, no. I called and emailed Ridge Farm a few times but they never responded. Pretty much every other tube DI from $60 to $2100 is in though!
  9. Fretless5verfan

Darn. But oh well, it's still gonna be an awesome comparison!:hyper:
  10. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    +1

i can't wait.:D
  11. shifter

shifter

The reddi is worth it all day long.

The thing is thick as F&&^ and clear as anything else i have ever used.

Anytime i've had to sit in on a session i will without fail always use a Reddi.

In regards to one of your cons i beleive that it can be rack mounted...

Or was that the JDI....??????

All the basses that i have played through the Reddi really come into there own as far as shapping tone .

Shootouts aside get a reddi mate..
  12. Fretless5verfan

You can rack that weirdly shaped thing? I don't see how:eyebrow: lol. Between you and Vanselus, i'm thinking about grabbin the REDDI...
  13. shifter

shifter

Don't think about it mate.....

GO and get one ....:hyper:

You won't be sorry ....
  14. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I have been using a Groove Tubes DITTO into an API 3124+ and I am loving it! I think the preamp that the DI goes into is equally important. I had tried the DITTO into a bunch of other pres, from Grace to RNP to RME and the API just adds the final touch that makes the bass big and fat without having to be loud in the mix. I will soon be building a Seventh Circle Audio Neve clone and I am very curious about how that will sound on the bass as well. The API also has a DI built in and it sounds excellent as well, but the combo is even better.

Edwin
  15. Peter Montessi

Peter Montessi A-Designs Audio

FYI

Paul Turner is the newest member of our family.
    Sorry to be a name dropper but I'm very excited about Paul being on board.
    I got to meet him at NAMM and what a GREAT person he is.

Regards,
    Peter Montessi
    A-Designs Audio
    www.adesignsaudio.com

Attached Files:

16. Jay Terrien

Jay Terrien

A-Designs RULES!!!!!
    ;)

17. Peter Montessi

18. Fretless5verfan

Wow. I'm getting a REDDI :hyper: :p
  19. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    yeah man. i thought Paul was using the Gas Cooker? I definately need to check out that A-Designs box now. Paul Turner is the Man.
  20. Peter Montessi

Hi Markjazzbassist,

Please don't misunderstand or be mislead by my post!
    I don't know what Paul used on that recording and all I am saying is he is now a member of the A Designs Audio family!

Geeesh, the family is growing pretty fast maybe I should start thinking about "Birth Control" ;)

I hope that clears things up a bit?

Regards,
    Peter Montessi
    A-Designs Audio
    www.adesignsaudio.com