1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A different kind of P vs J thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agent77, Feb 3, 2014.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

So I had an epiphany this morning. A P-Bass feels more comfortable than a Jazz when I play sitting down, but a Jazz is more comfortable when standing. Anyone else feel the same way, or is this kooky talk?
  2. circuitspore

circuitspore Supporting Member

I haven't played Jazz much (I just got one after playing other basses for the past 15 years), but the first thing I noticed between the two is that the Precision feels more balanced/natural when I'm sitting.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

...and a dimension bass feels better when you're standing on your head.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I own both but I can't say either is more comfortable standing vs sitting. But we're all a little kooky.

Actually, I do prefer to pluck over the bridge pup on my jazz and that's more comfortable standing.
  5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I finally established that a P feels better to me than a J, so I've modded a couple of my cheaper P's with different pickup configurations. Works great for me. I've got a P, a P/J, and a third with T-bird pickups. With those three, I can cover quite a bit of ground.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That's weird.
    I play live with a Jazz bass... but I record, sitting down... with a Precision. Newver thought about it until you asked.
  7. elBandito

elBandito

I'm exactly the same. Offset body fits like a glove when standing, but precision body feels more comfortable than jazz when sitting down. P balances better on my leg when sitting down. Jazz neck dives when sitting down, but balances perfectly standing up.