A different kind of P vs J thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

So I had an epiphany this morning. A P-Bass feels more comfortable than a Jazz when I play sitting down, but a Jazz is more comfortable when standing. Anyone else feel the same way, or is this kooky talk?
  2. circuitspore

circuitspore Supporting Member

I haven't played Jazz much (I just got one after playing other basses for the past 15 years), but the first thing I noticed between the two is that the Precision feels more balanced/natural when I'm sitting.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

...and a dimension bass feels better when you're standing on your head.
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I own both but I can't say either is more comfortable standing vs sitting. But we're all a little kooky.

Actually, I do prefer to pluck over the bridge pup on my jazz and that's more comfortable standing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I finally established that a P feels better to me than a J, so I've modded a couple of my cheaper P's with different pickup configurations. Works great for me. I've got a P, a P/J, and a third with T-bird pickups. With those three, I can cover quite a bit of ground.
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That's weird.
    I play live with a Jazz bass... but I record, sitting down... with a Precision. Newver thought about it until you asked.
  8. elBandito

elBandito

I'm exactly the same. Offset body fits like a glove when standing, but precision body feels more comfortable than jazz when sitting down. P balances better on my leg when sitting down. Jazz neck dives when sitting down, but balances perfectly standing up.