A Fender Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Dec 4, 2012.

1. klejst

klejst

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'm not an expert but I'd avoid that like the Plague. If I'm wrong I am sorry but it just looks like a $100 copy at best.
  3. klejst

klejst

That is what I was thinking and sarcastically aiming towards in posting my original post. I did not know whether to post it here or in the humor forums.
  4. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

The body's the wrong shape. The bridge looks really cheap and is in the wrong spot. Fret markers are wrong. It screams "FAKE! FAKE! There's one born every minute FAKE!!! :( :( :( :( :(
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

That is an interesting find. That bridge and pickup though....does not look like quality fender work.

If I was to guess it appears to be a 62 to early 70's jazz. Wish I could offer more help. I just purchased a Fullerton era Jazz Vintage '62 re-issue. Made in 1983.

Gonna watch that auction and see what else comes up. If that number he posted is on the heel plate...which would be the serial and not a patent number...it would be a 1963 model Jazz...yet I doubt that is what your looking at.
  7. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

someone posted this the other day. Crappy knockoff
  8. exidor

exidor

stay away from that!! far away!
  9. cavscout19d

cavscout19d Supporting Member

Looks like one of those 'Nam basses, knockoffs made for and sold to deployed military guys. Probably crap.
  10. PDQbass

PDQbass

Put the bridge back in the right place and it would look a whole lot better. Strange the screw holes for the bridge in the correct place are not there, but the bridge cover screw holes look about right. One neck inlay missing, neck binding damaged.....mmm, I think some, maybe not all of this bass might be genuine. Photos can distort shapes somewhat through change of device they are being viewed on. Might be a totally screwed-up Fender that fell into the wrong hands at some point. Definitely not recommended as a player. But might be intriguiging as a project if he would take the neck off and check out the date.
  11. Egbert89

Egbert89

Maybe the bass was an original fender when bought, but then some idiot wrecked the body and bolted the neck onto this sunburst abomination... Could explain the correct (looking) decal and bolt plate with SN.
  12. jellejanssen

jellejanssen

Different pickups
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep.

Headstock decal - wrong
    Bridge - way wrong
    Pickups - wrong
    Looks like a short scale

There is nothing vintage Fender about it, other than the possibility of the neck plate.
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Don't buy that bass.
  15. gary m

gary m

Wow...looks like a mix of Kawai and Teisco parts on a short or medium scale instrument. To my eye, this thing screams pre-lawsuit era Japanese clone from Kay or Harmony. Whatever it is, it's NOT a Fender.
  16. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Vintage - Yes

Fender - Not so much...
  17. slug

slug

again, its a short scale.:scowl:
  18. Billy Bassboy

Billy Bassboy

Avoid this, too many big red flags.
  19. Immigrant

Immigrant

I need to remember to post a link to this thread on every "where to buy decals?" and "replace Squier with Fender?" thread.

Even someone who has been around basses and TB for a while can be drawn to a fake. Thank goodness this resource is available for inquiring minds! It would be nice to know how many people avoided scammers by posting questionable basses here.
  20. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

RUN!!! RUN FAST and RUN HARD from that thing! There is more wrong with it than right!
  21. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

This was posted two days ago. Avoid at all costs.