1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A few basic practice questions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jjca, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jjca

jjca

I'm a guitar player converting to bass, which means I actually have to pay attention to staying in time now (lol). Just to stay sharp, is metronome better than, say, practicing over EZdrummer beats? If so, then why? And do I really need to practice the counting?

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I believe a metronome is better than a drum machine for practicing because less of the "stuff" is filled in for you. In other words, you have to do more of the timekeeping yourself.

In fact, rather than having the metronome click on every beat, try having it click on every other beat. So, if the song is 120 beats per minute, try setting the metronome at 60. Now count four beats, so that the metronome clicks on 2 and 4. Now groove along with that. The metronome becomes your snare drum, and when you lock up with it, it feels great. But drift, and you're in trouble!

Practice the counting until the rhythm feels natural. Then stop counting and just play.

Knowing how to count out a rhythm is a valuable skill, IME, so don't neglect it.

3. jjca

jjca

Ok, thanks for the advice.

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

And excellent advice it was from Bassist4Eris. But don't stop there. If you can set the metronome even more slowly, then do so. Try using it on 1 only, 2 only, 3 only, 4 only, etc.

If you really need to set it on 1, 2, 3, and 4 to start, then do so. But avoid that crutch as soon as possible. If you are playing a fast tune (such as 1/4 = 300 bpm), try setting it on 1, 2, 3, or 4 of every other measure. For the most part, the metronome isn't there to feed you the beat; it's there to show you when you miss the beat. Using it as an aw crap mechanism is the most effective use.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

The metronome is the best and also the hardest way to improve your tempo and groove skills.
    Drum loop and software are helpful to let you improve easily your groove sense but if you try to work from the begin on the metronome, you can't imagine how big will be your improvement.
    Cheers.

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me

7. alfoders

alfoders

Go for the metronome. Search YouTube for Victor Wooten's tutorial on how to use the metronome. He has a great exercise which will help with your internal "clock".

8. Jamerman

Jamerman

One sort of excercise you do is play a scale, and play it in different tuplets. So play two notes every beat, then 3, then 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.

Then you can start playing (I think this is a polyrhythm?) things like 7 over 4 rhtyhms, so 7 notes in the space of 4 metronome beats, and then 7 notes in the space of two.

Doing things like this will give you a better sense of time, which you can use to great effect as part of the rhythm section (Progressive bass players often use things like this in fills)

You could probably use this sort of excercise with any riff, going through the circle of 5ths to play it in different keys too

Have fun :D

9. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Some thoughts on metronomes:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/11/28/metronomes-the-debate-for-bassists/

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums...Jeff-Berlin´s-opinions-on-using-the-metronome

http://www.markbass.it/2012/news_48_Jeff Berlin interview in Cutaway Magazine (SPAIN)

fwiw, I agree with Jeff Berlin and his approach to learning bass. I have natural meter, but I have difficulty learning songs "in time". I get the notes under my fingers first, then I apply time to it. I prefer to play along with recorded music (cd's in my case) or a drum machine.

But, to each their own.

I would suggest try different things and see what works best for you. Everyone learns differently.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I agree with ProgRocker and Jeff Berlin. The metronome is of little value as long as there is a issue with technique. Learn your song or scale or arpeggio or whatever and then get into the time stuff with metronome or drum machine. Ultimately you'll need to act and react to musicians so as soon as you can get with other players, the better for you. Metronomes and drums machines are very exact... art is not.

11. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Agreed 100%. But an appreciation and mastery of exactness forms a firm foundation for the eventual reality of playing with people, which will require an adaption of exactness to the reality of playing with others. Personally, I'd go for early metronome use, followed very quickly by an understanding of the real world, which would be first bring in drum machines to understand the density of rhythm, then realizing that playing with humans is altogether a different matter.