1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

A few questions about my amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AndrewM, Feb 12, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

On my amplifier, a PF350 by Ampeg, there is a little peak light by the gain control. I know that this indicates if there is enough gain or too much gain. My question is the following: Is it bad/potentially damaging for the light to blink maybe every 10 notes or so? This only happens when I'm playing slap/pop stuff, specifically when I give the string a bit of a harder thump for some emphasis. Other than that, the light stays off (finger style, pick, MOST of my slapping/popping, etc.).

Also, I have one more question :p I notice that on this amplifier there is a plug for audio input, from any sort of mp3 player. When playing music through the amp to play along to (drum beats, song covers, etc), are there any guidelines I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your time & helpfulness

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

As stated in the manual (a fine piece of litterature that I suggest you check), it is normal for the peak light to blink on attacks. It also says that the audio input accepts any line level device.

3. AndrewM

AndrewM

Bought used, so no manual :( but I suppose I could have checked to see if there was a manual online. Thanks for your contribution

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    It's good practice to download, print out, and read the manual before even seriously considing buying a piece of used gear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes I feel like the only mean, evil parent that taught my kid to Read The Manual with any new or new to you piece of equipment??? :meh:

7. AndrewM

AndrewM

Its not like I just rushed head-on into the decision of buying the amplifier without any background research. I watched several of the videos featuring this amplifier on Ampeg's youtube channel so I could attempt better my understanding of this piece of equipment before purchase. In addition to this, I went into my local music store several times and played through the amplifier with my own bass, and I also played through other amplifiers of similar price before deciding that this was the amplifier best suited to me.

So while I may have been ignorant to certain functions and aspects of this amplifier, please do not get the impression that my decision to purchase it was a decision made hastily and without a decent bit of consideration

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your decision is a fine decision:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the gain light, I usually have it lit up at least a little when I play, and sometimes I light it up pretty strongly. If you crank gain to where the gain light comes on, it adds some mild overdrive to the sound, and with SS amps I like at least a little overdrive to fatten up the sound. So it's strictly a sonic choice and won't hurt your amp.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Here is a copy of the manual on the Ampeg site.

This is what they say about the LED:

PEAK LED: This red warning LED will come on if: the input signal is too high, the gain control is set too high, or there is too much boost from the bass, midrange and treble controls. If it comes on regularly, even when these controls are low, try engaging the –15 dB pad.

10. AndrewM

AndrewM

Thank you very much for posting a link to the manual! Also, seeing as it says "if it comes on regularly", I would assume that once every 10-15 notes isn't too much of a problem?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Once every 10-15 notes is too low as far as I'm concerned ;) That's dead clean. Crank that gain a little!

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The light is there to help you keep the sound undistorted. It is normal to see it flash a bit under clean settings.

The light can help you to learn to play more evenly. Some notes on your bass will be louder than others, the way that you dig in to a note makes a difference. Use your ears as well to judge how hard you are pushing your amp. Listen to the quality of your tone and adjust your levels and playing style accordingly.