A few questions about "Walkers"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I saw The Walking Dead episode where they went to the CDC and the guy explained how the dead became re-animated, etc. but I was wondering (and forgive me if it's been explained here,) how long is the re-animated life span of a walker? They need sustenance to keep on "living," right? Do they eat anything other than the non dead?

I travel a lot and don't have a netfix subscription as of yet. It's hard to keep up with it all.

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

With zombies you have to accept the fiction part of science fiction and just go with it :p

3. tplyons

tplyons

Get yourself a free month of netflix by signing up. You can knock out the first three seasons in a long weekend.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52

Their "life expectancy" isn't addressed afaik. Nor should it be. Would just unnecessarily complicate the story. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Or watch it free on a site like Project Free TV.

I keep saying that by the 3rd season those hordes of zombies would have fallen apart and been close to decimated, but that doesn't further the story line I guess. Also, the more they kill, the fewer there should be...so just keep killin' and make it yer damn job.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Nope, but it's my understanding that they're going to be "walking" for eternity, or until someone smashes their brains in, whichever comes first.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Have they addressed why they don't eat each other?

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The concept of a person who has had organ failure to the point of death continuing to exist without medical intervention is fantasy. You need all organs working to continue doing pretty much anything, let alone ripping people apart as if their abdominal walls were sausage casings.

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

John Lennon said all you need is love, and zombies do have a severe affection for uncooked long pork.

11. OldDog52

OldDog52

Ick! That would be cannibalism!!! Lol

About all we do know is they crave and need fresh flesh. Hershel had captive walkers in his barn for an extended time. Wasn't he feeding them animal flesh?

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Because that would eliminate some of their threat to the living from a script writing point of view.

13. OldDog52

OldDog52

None of this stands up to logical analysis. I mean, Michonne hacked off the jaws of her "pets" and they seemed to do ok even with no way to eat.

Just suppress that whole logic thing and enjoy the "But What If!" ride! ;) And if it's new to you, start from the beginning. Don't try to jump in at a later point in the story.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Interestingly, IIRC, the life expectancy is addressed in High School of the Dead. Someone - I think the nurse character - hypothesized that since the reanimated corpses were clinically dead, they would eventually decompose away.

15. OldDog52

OldDog52

Well, it's been many months now since It Happened. Maybe over a year? There's no shortage of walkers. So either they're able to keep going somehow, or their ranks are constantly being re-populated with fresh human deaths. Seems like there aren't enough living survivors to sustain that repopulation.

The mere fact that we're having a discussion about this is testament to the greatness of the show. ;)

16. hover

hover

It's not necessarily true that they haven't addressed the "life span" as the walkers continue to rot, they are getting progressively more and more decomposed as time goes by. the bigger issue is that there's somehow always a fresh supply of new walkers as survivors start to die off.

17. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

They get their heads cut off yet they still live. They are as persistent as cockroaches I'm telling you.

I wonder what would happen if we exposed walkers to thousands of rontgens per second. :p

Some of them may be hybernating, there were a few walkers that came out of the ground. I mean, even if they started photosynthesis there's no sun under the ground. So...

I can't believe I'm speculating about some people that kept walking after their deaths in a tv series.:D

18. Innadi

Innadi

The case of the hanging zombies has always puzzled me. I fail to see how they make noises when they are hanging. They surely don't eat anything.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

They're not growling, they're farting but due to decomposition of their body, their farts sound like growls.

20. Richland123

Richland123

A Walker can live forever

[​IMG]

21. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they'd be non-functional by about 5 months in. Also, again, if you were in that place, you'd want to treat killing them like its your job. There's a finite number of them, and they're fairly geographically limited. Do your best to clear your area. Even when they had the prison, they didn't seem very aggressive about killing them 'at the walls', and that obviously became a problem

Also, that show has geographical problems. They travel for days and end up all in the same neighborhood. Its a short jaunt from the prison to the town where the story originates, yet they didn't know about the prison and 'found' it. In the most recent episode they 'find' that run down cabin with moonshine...that Darryl already knew about...after they've fled for days. They're in this little compressed maybe 10 square mile block or something like that.

*Even Stephen King (The Stand) knew to get rid of cars and use motorcycles. Less gas, more ability to maneuver around road hazzards, etc. Why the foop aren't they all carrying swords and crossbows or bows? Duh.