1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

a few touches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

so i got a hard ash stingray body copy from the net and got me thinking it weighs a bit to much, my back can handle it but i find it easier to play a lighter bass than a heavier one, still it doesn't compare with the playability of my feather lightweight alder jazz

not that it's unmanageable but i think i can slim it a bit by sanding on the area where you lay your arm on the body, i can't recal what that area is called, also the place where the bass makes contact with the stomach, that as well i can't recall the exact name of the body feature

so the body didn't come with those areas preshaped but it'd like to do it myself with some heavy/light sanding and then refinishing the area without repainting it so the natural wood is exposed and it would also give the bass a relic-ish feel (dunno if there is such a thing as relicd ray)

i'm going to install a obp1 pre in the near future so i'd like to route some more space underneath the pickguard as well to fit the pre

any tips to get rid of the extra weight are greately appreciated

oh and btw, is there a way to replace caps on a stingray control plate? i would need to do it to fit 500k for the obp1 pre

the knobs dont have any screw on them to take them off..
  2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

It'll look like crapola if you don't get a full refinish when you cut the contours. And it really doesn't save that much weight unless you make them really deep. Try a wider strap to spread the weight around a little bit.

And for the electronics, all of the existing stuff would be replaced with the new pre-amp. And no offense, but if you don't know how to even remove the knobs that don't have set screws, you should probably take the bass in to a tech to get the work done, or just leave it stock. What are you hoping to get out of the new pre amp anyways?
  3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

i recently got in posession of a modulus flea pup and i wsnt to couple it with the obp1 to get that modulus growl the "ghetto way" since i dont wanna go through the hussle of saving for one, i'm currenly saving for a wal already

so when i got the pup i thought why not get a nice stingray body honey burst and slam a nice slim maple jazz neck on it and get the best of all worlds?

and so that's what i'm doing, but i'd like to know how can i safely remove the caps from the control plate so i can install the 500k's the obp1 comes with

and what could i do to further reduce the weight of the heavy ash body