A funny thing happened on the way to NBD...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I recently bought a new bass that was a bit out of my comfort zone, played a high-profile gig with it over the weekend, and decided it wasn't for me (returning it).

It turns out that I'm way deeper into this Precision thing then I ever thought I'd be, and in more ways then I realized. Little things I never think about, like the size of the body, and how far the reach is to the first fret (not talking about scale, but how the bass sits when standing).

Determined to get something new into the arsenal, I started considering all options for "P's with a twist" and decided on something I've never owned - an early 50's P reissue.

I'm a huge fan of MJT Relics (I own two, a P and a Jazzmaster) so I started specing out what an MJT build would cost. I figured the cost of every part and unfortunately, it turned out to be a few hundred more then I was hoping.

Not content to cross my fingers and hope that Fender releases a '54 Road Worn at NAMM, I decided to check eBay for MIJ '51 (slab) and '54 (contoured) reissues, figuring I could strip the finish myself and have Matt @ MJT work his magic (I'm a stickler for nitro finishes).

To my complete shock, I found a gorgeous sunburst heavy relic MJT-built '55 reissue P on eBay. All high-quality parts were used, including a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup, and a gorgeous brand new tweed case. The kicker: it was located THREE MINUTES from my house. I immediately got in touch with the seller, we negotiated a cash price, and I picked it up last night.

Here are the seller's pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turns out that the seller is a huge Sting fan, and the wear was copied exactly from Sting's weathered '55 P (he sold this bass to buy a real '55). It is over the top for sure (especially on the back), but I love relics - it really looks fantastic in person! Feels great too of course. I'm gonna be beating the snot out of it anyway. :bassist:

I immediately put on a set of GHS Flats and it plays beautifully. Just waiting on an ashtray cover for the bridge so I have a solid place for my thumb. The Antiquity leaves a little to be desired for my tastes, so I'll be dropping in a more modern-sounding Seymour Duncan SCPB-3. I'd like to add a set of Ultralites too, to get the balance even better.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Very cool bass!

I've got a '56 that all the finish (it was sunburst) is now worn off, it probably looked pretty much like that one many years ago.

Gotta love those unusual transition-P's!!!
  3. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Definitely a bit much..........But still VERY cool. It's nice to have a great playing & sounding instrument you don't have to baby all the time.

Great score, and good luck with it.
  4. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
  5. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Wow.. That's fate, my friend! Congrats!
  6. bh2

bh2

Superb... always wanted one of those...

Maybe I can still grow a beard!
  7. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    That's what I'm sayin'! Wild stuff!
  8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

the only thing i will fuss about if i were you is the 2 saddles at the bridge, i will get so insecure about it. Congrats anyway =)
  9. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Normally I would agree with you on that - but it's actually a Wilkinson bridge that looks the part, only with more adjust-ability! It's a nice piece of hardware.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Congrats, and happy NBD... I'm not really into the whole relic thing, but I have to admit that looks pretty cool - and probably plays great... In the end, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters...

- georgestrings
  11. woodyng

woodyng

Congrats,JB! I played around on a fretless jazz relic on my last visit to Memphis,and was rather smitten. So...is the daphne Warwick the one going back? (I kind of have the same issues with 335-shaped basses in general,the main reason i sold my Lakland HB)
  12. FrednBass

FrednBass

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
    Great score
  13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Yep, that is pretty cool.

I'm not sure how creative or artistic you are but if it were me I'd probably want to lose the guard, and fade/dirty up the wear marks a little more to make it look closer to the real deal.

Whoever did it did pretty good though, something like that could easily have come out looking horribly over done, I think it looks good.
    Just still kinda looks a little too new.
  14. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Woody - yep, I decided to return it. I tweaked it endlessly for a week, contemplated tuner swaps, elaborate pickup swaps, adding a pickguard, etc. Played a gig with it and switched to my P after the first set. I would have switched after a few songs if i had time. That was that.

Great sounding bass and really stunning to look at - just not for me!
  15. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Pinky ;) - as much as I don't want to admit it, it does look better sans pickguard. I have two gigs this weekend - it will get dirty and come away with a few more dings. :)

There is a lot of checking in the finish - hard to see any of the fine detail in the photos above. I'm a photographer so I'll do my best to get some nicer photos up soon! First, there's playing' to be done.
  16. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Post up a sound clip? Please? I am DYING to hear her/him sing.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice bass! Congrats!