A good, cheap electric guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Nov 7, 2012.

1. oniman7

oniman7

Hello, TB. Although I love bass, I have been composing. I would like to get into video game/TV composing and that sort of thing. I am trying to reconnect with my rock roots to create a rock/post rock instrumental sound for certain things that VST's just won't cut.

Think:

So, I need it to range from good clean tones to heavy tones. Not necessarily able to emulate period authentic blues or country or jazz, just close enough to a wide variety of tones to be believable.

I am leaning on one side towards a Squire or Mexi Fender Strat (potentially with a bridge Humbucker) or an Ibanez/Schecter.

7 String would be cool if it fell in, but not a priority.

I won't have the money for a while, but looking to spend no more than $200-300.

What would you do?
  2. Illini10

Illini10

One of my guitarists has a Mexi Strat Blacktop HH that he spent about $500 on. I don't think you're going to find a Fender HSS cheaper that $400 unless you find a used one somewhere. Squier has some HSS strats in the range you're looking for.
  3. hover

hover

Have you heard of www.rondomusic.com ?

plenty of pretty decent guitars there (including 7 & 8 strings, yes) that would more than fit the bill. 15 pages of different guitars to choose from.
  4. oniman7

oniman7

I'm seriously interested in the ESP Ltd H101. I will try to get my hands on some of these as well as Strats. I also think I want the Blackstar HT1 amp.

I did check out Rondo. My old guitarist had an Agile Les Paul from there and our engineer preferred its sound over his Gibson. However, the lines in my budget range don't have a very good low tone that I want.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

A used mexi strat in decent condition will do you fine. You might find one with upgrades but at that price, it'll most likely be stock. I recommend you use 11s. I'm a Thomastic Infeld fan, FWIW.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

As with basses, the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe guitars are very good for the money.
  8. oniman7

oniman7

A guitarist in a local band has offered to let me try his Indonesian Squier Strat as well as an ESP Viper. $150 for the Strat and $250 for the ESP
  9. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Not strat like, but a cheap man's les paul....

As far as cheap used guitars, grab anything of the better Dearmonds that had the USA gold pickups. Guitar Center and others had to blow them out years ago at $200 each because they were outselling the higher ended Gretsch guitars and it was a corporate decision.

Their bass starfire copy is the only good one in my opinion (I have one) goes for around $700+ used and the better les paul copies (that sold for $200) fetch $500+ but you can find them for $200-$300 (I have a few) if you are patient.
  10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Guitar centers used section can toss you a squire for 70-100 bucks
  11. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

...with all the knobs missing and skyscraper action.
  12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

No. I've seen pretty good condition ones in the store near me for that price.
  13. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

I picked up a barely used MIM Fender strat for $100 off a guy my age on CL who needed to pay some bills. It has suited my needs just fine!
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

+1 good guitar for the money new and if you find a used one a steal.

I know a guy who works in the music biz (store/repair) and he has worked a few VM and CV guitars and basses that guys are buying modding and putting Fender decals on the headstock to hide it. He said they sound and play as good as any MIA and nobody knows and they save $$.
  15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Find a used Peavey T-60. They cover a wide variety of tones and are very good guitars. Heavy, but if you're just recording that shouldn't be an issue.
  16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Used Mexican Fender Strat. They are usually all over Craigslist.
  17. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Check out the Agile brand at www.rondomusic.com
    You will not find better guitars at there price points.
  18. hover

hover

Exactly. see post #3. ;) and sentence two of post #4.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

I bought my son a really nice Epiphone SG model that is amazing for the price.

Some friends of mine swear by the Fender Squiers and Danelectro guitars for inexpensive decent guitars.
  20. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1
    Even the SX brand is IMO a very good guitar for the money. I bought my daughter an SX strat copy a couple years ago and it's been a very good guitar.
  21. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

+1

Also, some of the epiphone offerings are pretty reasonable and sound damn good. Same thing with some of the ESP LTD stuff. For 7 string I'd go the LTD route. Used you can find these around $300. I don't have experience with their guitars, but I picked up a used schecter bass awhile back and while the modern style isn't my thing, it's a damn nice bass for what I paid for it.