A good chorus pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carolinyens, Nov 26, 2012.

1. carolinyens

carolinyens

So Im thinking about getting a chorus pedal. Ive always liked Boss because they tend to seem very sturdy and I have friends that still use ones that they have had for 15+ years. With that said, I have noticed that there is more than one version that Boss makes. My questions are what is the difference in these and if not a Boss pedal then what brands do you like for chorus and why?

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

There are a lot of threads covering this subject, so a search will pay off. :) Chorus is one of the most popular effect discussed in this forum.

In short, the Boss CEB-3 and CE-5seem to be the most popular (if only looking at Boss pedals), the first for its subtlety and the second for its wider possibilities. But there are other options. MXR pedals are at least as well built as Boss pedals (IMO). The Analog chorus is a popular pedal, but MXR recently anounced the arrival of its new bass chorus (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/new-mxr-pedals-926588/).

Personaly, I really like the MXR Stereo chorus: it has a sparkling quality, is very tweakable and has a bass filter switch which help preserving some decent bottom. I've also seen the 1-knob Micro chorus on a few boards. Also: Danelectro, Analogman, Digitech are also brands you'll see around here.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I can tell what not to get: TC Electronic Chorus/Flanger. It sounds amazing if you want subtle, and it has an input for remote triggering (mounted mine under a Pedal Train to save space). The worst part is that it comes with something even worse than a wall worth. It's got a friggin' AC extension cord sticking out of it.

That said, if you're interested in buying one... j/k...

The analog man one gets a lot of love on TB, but, from what I've seen, the Boss pedals seem to be the most popular.

Good luck!

4. alec

alec

I've only had two choruses. The Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus was really good but the Polytope is better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

TC Electronic Corona Chorus is pretty sweet

7. kreider204

kreider204

If you want something subtle, something that doesn't add a lot of harsh overtones, something that doesn't boost the overall volume, then get the CEB-3.

If you want something a bit more over the top, get the CE-5.

I don't have any experience with the CH-1.