1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

A good home demo studio for under 550?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Not sure if i posted this in the right forum, considering it doesn't necessarily pertain strictly to bass. I've grown an interest in recording a few songs that I've wrote. The problem is I have nothing but a bassic (tehee) setup, and a cheap guitar rig. I know I'll need an 8 track, and perhaps headphones and a DI cord?
    The feature of burning the songs onto a CD featured on the Tascam DP-02 is an attractive feature for me as we'll as the 40 GB hard drive. I don't expect the quality to be good, I just want a demo. As always, thanks Talkbass!
  2. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Are you planning on trying to record multiple tracks at once, or just do one instrument at a time? I don't have much experience with standalone recorders, but if you have the option of using a computer, Presonus has some great products at a very reasonable price point. Their XMAX preamps are nice and if you buy new, most of their products come with a free version of Studio One. If you don't mind recording things one or two at a time and don't need drums, you could try a Presonus Audiobox, or if you want basic drum capabilities maybe an Audiobox 44VSL to get 4 inputs. Either way I recommend at least a good pair of headphones to start and a couple of decent mics, particularly if trying to do drums. An SM-57 and at least one small condenser would be a good start.

If you can use a computer that is. :)
  3. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

I don't have drums, and I'm not that great when it comes to anything tech related. I'd also be worried about the space the program would take up on my comp.
  4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Lots of folks are happy with the ZOOM R16 and R24 multitrack recorders. Both can operate as an audio interface with the included Cubase software, and other compatible DAWS. Lots of bang for the buck with either recorder.
  5. DirkP

DirkP

I've tried many different multitrack recorders and software solutions and I'm really happy with the Zoom R8. For the small price the audio-quality is very good and even the effects are useable.
    The most important thing for me is that it's relatively userfriendly. I hate searching for options in submenues or pressing three knobs simultaneously while turning the forth knob...
    Dirk
  6. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Last week, I came home with an Akai EIE and was recording into GarageBand via DI (no mics yet) within 20 minutes...if that's any help.
  7. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Do I get 1/4" jack headphones, also, what kind of cords will I need? I have several guitar cables, as well as a speaker cable.
  8. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Most interfaces or stand alone multitrack recorders usually feature xlr and quarter inch inputs either as xlr/trs combo inputs or sometimes separate inputs. Get yourself a decent xlr microphone cable and a decent instrument cable and you are good to go. As for the headphone jack, most interfaces and devices usually are quarter inch, but again there might be exceptions, given that the market seems to see so many different manufacturers coming up with new interface and recording devices every day of the week.;)
  9. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Suggestion - buy longer cables than you think you'll need...easier than having to move your entire recording bench 3 feet closer due to a too-short cable.
  10. Raymeous

Raymeous