1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

a guide to gain structure?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pulse, Sep 10, 2013.

1. pulse

pulse

Hello

can anyone point me too or give me some tips on running multiple dirt boxes together, specifically how to set levels

They all seem to influence each other so massively, and I often find I get better sound when I back the pedals off in a series using levels that would not make sense at all if the pedals were used alone (because the volume drop would be ridiculous when engaged).

Is there any specific way to do this, should one use a gain meter or something and set every thing to hit a specific peak?

Any tips much appreciated
    J
  2. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I would set each pedal to match the output level of the bass by themselves.

Just go one by one and set the input gain to get the amount of distortion you want and then set the output gain to match your bass. Then move onto the next one. Kick on your first pedal and then adjust the input gain of the second pedal to get the distortion you want and then set the level to match your bass and the first pedal.

Or...if you're only ever going to use them all at once then set them how you like it.

There are no rules. Just best practices.
  3. pulse

pulse

Thank you father of fires, thats already a big help :)
  4. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

in addition to what FOF said, it helps to practice at actual stage volume for this stuff.

There have been numerous times where i thought i had some good dirt settings, by myself... only to realize they sounded horrible with the full band at full volume.
  5. karla684

karla684

Agree with previous posts. Also, more aggressive distortion will compress the signal more. So if you want less increase of volume I would suggest putting e.g. fuzz later in the chain.
    For example: bass -> od -> dist -> fuzz -> amp.

Personally I do it the other way around which gives the od a boost function (i.e. increased volume) when used over the fuzz or dist.

/Karl
  6. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Same here... i use to have my fuzz after dist. and OD... but recently put it in front, and i think i like it there better.

But see?? I wouldn't know that unless i messed around, and experimented with it :D
  7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I would like to add that I typically don't set pedals to be at "unity gain" but more at "bass unity gain." Some pedals, especially those that boost the mids and highs will be much louder, but I'd rather retain low end supremacy at the cost of bumping mids up in the full mix over keeping mids maintained and dropping out of the low end when I step on a stompbox.
  8. pulse

pulse

Wow guys all such useful tips, especially about playing at band volume and allowing low end to be the boss and not judging by the mids bumps you invariably get

I tried today an also prefer my fuzz before OD / dist

It just gets oversaturated the other way for me

My chain is sounding better than ever today thanks to this!

Bass>Suppercollider>Acid Pig(iron pig)>rusty box > Amp

Sehr schoen! As they say in Germany ...